Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: chainsaw servicing

chainsaw servicing

Husqvarna 340. Age: unknown 7-8 years.
    The chain gets slack very easily and wobbles in the bar so it looks like a new chain and bar are required. Chips are small as well.
    The chain has marked the clutch thing that it engages with, but that is to be expected.
    Not sure if it needs servicing to check other parts or if only the chain and bar need replacing.
    Probably has been serviced before but not recently.
    I can read the manual and do the checks it elaborates, but not with trained eyes.

So is a service recommended or not?
    They are simple devices, engine plus chain mechanism.

Thanks

I'd not recommend a service if it's running well. The chain may be overheating because it's blunt which makes loose very easily.

You may be able to get the cutter bar dressed if it isn't too worn. If it's running fine there's no need to fiddle with it. All a 2 stroke needs is oil in the fuel and maybe the sparkplug replaced once in a blue moon. Other than that, keep the cutter bar oil full and the chain tensioned correctly.

I would put a new chain, bar, clutch basket and rim on it. If it's not been serviced recently also a new plug and fuel filter and clean the air filter of any crud

Account Suspended
    You`ll have to trust your local supplier to confirm whether a new bar and chain are required , if it starts and runs okay theres nothing much to service on a two stroke ,clean it thoroughly including air filter , check all bolts/screws are tight and ensure you use good quality oils for the 2T and chainlube.

Small chips, like fine sawdust, usually means the chipper teeth have not been filed down when to chain was sharpened.

If the chain has been running slack, you 'll see damage on the bar rails in front of the nose sprocket. This can't be filed out, new bar required. If when you run your finger over the rails they feel rough that can be filed off and the bar reused. When you tighten the chain to the correct tension you should be able to pull the chain away from the bar and see the bottom of three drive links.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    snip...If when you run your finger over the rails they feel rough that can be filed off and the bar reused..snip.
    Make sure you do not run your finger along the rail when testing, the burs can be very sharp.

Alan

Jack,

I may have similar which I purchased from Countrywide stores in Thornbury in 2006. Mine doesnt get that much use but does help to keep the chain sharp and correctly set. Recently I purchased a husky chain sharpener and its very good and also have access to a proper chain sharpener. I have never taken the plug out and only 2 weeks ago cleaned the air filter. I use oregeon chains which I got in Switzerland years ago.

I will ask my mate who is a tree surgeon where to get it serviced, Avon garden machinery near you may be OK I see advertising chain saw servicing in the local press.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    I would put a new chain, bar, clutch basket and rim on it. If it's not been serviced recently also a new plug and fuel filter and clean the air filter of any crud
    Thanks for all your comments.

This is about right. I went into Countrywide with the chainsaw to compare it with new Stihl saws and the chain on the new ones has much less wobble on the bar than on mine. I had not filed down the chipper tooth either and I need a new gauge and files as well at a guess.

Take it in to get it serviced, from your description you know very little about chainsaws, then take a chainsaw course , which should include basic maintenance , or buy your firewood before you hurt yourself, you need to have the RAKERS filled, CHIPPER teeth are a type of cutting tooth, for soft wood usually, sprocket is worn, doubt your air filter has been cleaned (daily) apart from that leave the engine alone ( 30yrs servicing and working with chainsaws)