Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halogen heaters for the home?

Halogen heaters for the home?

Our flat is fitted with electric storage heaters which we find are very expensive to run so we are thinking of getting a halogen heater in an attempt to save a little on our electric bill. The sitting room in our flat is fairly small (About 20 x 12 feet floor area) so we were thinking about a halogen heater rated with three power options of 400, 800 and 1200 watts.
    Do any of you guys use halogen heaters in your home and if so what do you think of them (Do you think one of the size mentioned would be sufficient) both heat and economy wise please?
    Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    Our flat is fitted with electric storage heaters which we find are very expensive to run so we are thinking of getting a halogen heater in an attempt to save a little on our electric bill. The sitting room in our flat is fairly small (About 20 x 12 feet floor area) so we were thinking about a halogen heater rated with three power options of 400, 800 and 1200 watts.
    Do any of you guys use halogen heaters in your home and if so what do you think of them (Do you think one of the size mentioned would be sufficient) both heat and economy wise please?
    Your thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    we sell hundreds of these at work every month!! up side - instant heat - economy wise what size are your storage heaters?? i never believe they are as cheap to run as people say...
    http://www.sust-it.net/price-compari...alogen-heaters

Quote Originally Posted by redlab View Post
    we sell hundreds of these at work every month!! up side - instant heat - economy wise what size are your storage heaters?? i never believe they are as cheap to run as people say...
    http://www.sust-it.net/price-compari...alogen-heaters
    Redlab - I can't find the power rating marked on either of the storage heaters we have but one the smaller one of the two (In our hallway) is a Dimplex XL5N and the larger one in the front room is not marked but is nearly twice the size of the smaller one. (If that makes sense)
    We were thinking of a three bar (400, 800 and 1200 watt) Halogen Heater for the front room and maybe a two bar (400 and 800 watt) one for the hallway!
    What would your thought be please?

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    No experience of halogen but depending on circumstances this may help when looking to replace : http://www.thegreenage.co.uk/can-i-get-a-grant-to-replace-storage-heaters/

We trialled infra red panel heaters, worth a look and cheap to run.
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Have you considered the oil filled radiators ? , I find them really effective in 2 kW output

Sorry guys. I should have explained that our flat is owned by a housing association so we are limited to what we can use and are not allowed to remove the existing electric storage heaters.

Hi FrenchieBoy,
    I have a cheap halogen heater at home in the shed, it's a great source of instant radiated heat, but when you turn it on its like sitting in front of a truck with all it spotlights and main beams on together. I feel like I need to wear sunglasses when it's on.

Like Cisco said they are a bit on the bright side but they certainly throw out a lot of heat.

Infra red panel heater throw out radiated heat without too much light. Like sitting in front of a glowing coal fire without filling up the coal scuttle.