Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Results of Red Oil for Potman

Results of Red Oil for Potman

Hi There,

This is the difference that an oiled finish with Alkanet Root Oil (Red Oil) over the factory finish:-

As the rifle came to me with a slightly worn finish. So this was stripped off with Nitromors and a couple of small marks steamed out then after drying a few coats of Red Oil applied to highlight the grain.

Which it did quite nicely. It has not achieved the worn glossy handled look yet but it will get there with use .

These are the Leupold Q/R mounts we spoke about on that 1200 Super:-

The bases of these on this rifle required "fitting" as they didn't match the actions profile perfectly, shame about that as they cost around 85 . The weaver bases are the cheapest option and they can take a wide variety of different rings.

I cant see the pictures!

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Hi There,

This is the difference that an oiled finish with Alkanet Root Oil (Red Oil) over the factory finish:-

As the rifle came to me with a slightly worn finish. So this was stripped off with Nitromors and a couple of small marks steamed out then after drying a few coats of Red Oil applied to highlight the grain.

Which it did quite nicely. It has not achieved the worn glossy handled look yet but it will get there with use .

These are the Leupold Q/R mounts we spoke about on that 1200 Super:-

The bases of these on this rifle required "fitting" as they didn't match the actions profile perfectly, shame about that as they cost around 85 . The weaver bases are the cheapest option and they can take a wide variety of different rings.
    My first rifle was a Parker Hale 1200 super S with a set trigger built in that you had to rock forward to set it.
    Shot quite a few deer with it as well, The only thing I could not get to terms with was the sloppy bolt action and there was problems with the extractor as well so got shut of it after a few years and bought a Shoenaur Stutzen with double set triggers in 270 cal
    re stock oil a old stockmaker from a top london gun maker recommended a little dodge to me by using baby oil
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 17-05-2010 at 10:19.

A lovely job and a beautiful looking rifle

Bi-pod looks a bit wieghty tho

Nice job! You should do the chairs as well!

The chair is for "Occasional use only" having lived in a small flat I needed a couple in case extras were required for visitors so brought two of these chairs. They serve their purpose so can remain as they are .

My first rifle was a Parker Hale 1200 super S with a set trigger built in that you had to rock forward to set it.
    Shot quite a few deer with it as well, The only thing I could not get to terms with was the sloppy bolt action and there was problems with the extractor as well so got shut of it after a few years and bought a Shoenaur Stutzen with double set triggers in 270 cal
    Hmmm I still hear people say this about the Mauser 98 action strange as it was designed with the clearence for muck etc in warfare. I cannot fault your choice of the Schoenaur as they are beautifully made and a real piece of gunmaking art. Although I am aware of the P-H single set trigger I have never come across one but wonder about them as the std P-H adjustable trigger goes quite low in weight of pull. The exractor should have been an easy thing to sort out after all it's a Mauser 98 one .

Sam sorry I don't know why they're not showing for you. Filters perhaps? Other can see them so the protcol is working it seems.

Oh I am about to start on this stock:-

Hopefully the striped grain with really come out .

Nice job, i did a shotgun once it took weeks of hand rubbing the oil in but looked good in the end.

Thanks I am hoping that the 1200C will come out a bit like this Brno ZKK 601:-

I used a Wharthog Purdeys kit on that one and yes I have a couple of scopes that fit it .

I know the purists have much to say about wood warping and weathering and needing high maintenance but those plastic stocks are really ugly after seeing wood like this.

Brianm

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I know the purists have much to say about wood warping and weathering and needing high maintenance but those plastic stocks are really ugly after seeing wood like this.

Brianm
    Brian that's the std Brno stock just with the factory varnish removed and a rubbed oil finish applied. After a days Muntjac stalking near Northampton one particular time once home I had to strip the bolt to pour the water out. It rained all day and even sitting in the cover in the lea side of the wood didn't help much, we did get a yearling Buck though on the last knockings of the light . The stock is still true and not warped and still has the factory bedding untouched. I think in the years since this oiled finish was applied I have rubbed in a spot of oil twice now to maintain the finish. Not exactly high maintenance Oh I brought the Brno with some of my Pistol compensation from dear ole Tony .