Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wood burning stove

Wood burning stove

Had a stove fitted in September and going great until last Thursday,
    it is blowing smoke back into the house through the top vent .. Spoke to people at stove shop , they say it is the change in temperature .. Any idea what is causing this?
    Last edited by Stingercargill; 20-01-2016 at 00:29.

Sound like it's not drawing properly.
    it certainly shouldn't be blowing smoke into the house, that's screaming co2 poisoning.
    do you have a flue liner installed? And was a draw test carried out?

It's not drawing right , that's the problem, flue liner installed correctly as well

I am not buying that the change in temperature would have anything to do with it. -8 at home the other night and missus had our stove roaring. I get strong East and West winds where I live and sometimes this definitely does effect how the stove burns but not outside temperature. I would say it is most likely to do with restricted flow or lack of draw in the flue. My mate installs stoves every other day so I'll ask him and see what he thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by highland stalker View Post
    I am not buying that the change in temperature would have anything to do with it. -8 at home the other night and missus had our stove roaring. I get strong East and West winds where I live and sometimes this definitely does effect how the stove burns but not outside temperature. I would say it is most likely to do with restricted flow or lack of draw in the flue. My mate installs stoves every other day so I'll ask him and see what he thinks.
    Thankyou

sorry what sort of wood burning stove?

do you have vent leavers(push pull) as part of the ash tray? what I'm asking is how is it vented? is the air flow blocked because of ash not cleared fully from the base ventilation
    what happens if you partly open the doors?
    anything nested/building on the chimney :-) is there a directional top on the flue?
    Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit.
    Elbert Hubbard

Is your flue high enough to get a decent amount of draw on a calm day? I think the minimum height to get a proper draw is 4.5m.

I have no issues running the fire whatever the weather , but I have got a pepper pot stack on the chimney which stops the wind rushing down the chimney so they say

what have u got on yours is it just a top hat or a proper chimney pot

as said its the draw that's at fault I think a talker chimney stack or pot increases the draw but I couldn't be sure

Quote Originally Posted by kimh View Post
    sorry what sort of wood burning stove?

do you have vent leavers(push pull) as part of the ash tray? what I'm asking is how is it vented? is the air flow blocked because of ash not cleared fully from the base ventilation
    what happens if you partly open the doors?
    anything nested/building on the chimney :-) is there a directional top on the flue?
    It's a villager. Vents on bottom and on top. Nothing nesting on chimney . If I open vents on bottom to get the stove going the smoke will come out of the top vent and if I open the door the smoke just pours out.