Thread: Help with loose weever rail on 22/10

Help with loose weever rail on 22/10

Had a bit of bother keeping my Ruger22 10 on Zero and discoverd the rear two screws on the weever rail are stripped alowing the rail to move if knocked.

Must have been like this when I baught it as i have never touched the rail

Question is now, can I use a epoxy or other glue to fix the rail in place?

The front two screws are fine

If so what glue do you recommend

Yes i can get it re tapped and get bigger screws and have the rail drilled out but on a 250 rifel it hardly seems worth it.

ATB

Chasey

If I was going to use do what you're suggesting then I'd use Chemical Metal, about 5 a tube and very good stuff, however it will be a bit of a bodge and as I've got a tap and die set I'd just use that myself. Still a bodge but better then epoxy. I did mount a side picatinny rail on the action on my old 10/22 for a 45 degree red dot sight and I drilled and tapped that myself and it was as close to perfect as you can get doing it in your shed rather than at a gunsmiths!
    Last edited by nun_hunter; 20-01-2016 at 09:59. Reason: spelling

Hi

You may want to look up Helicoil thread repair kits - these replace stripped threads.
    Can only do a better job than - good though it is - Chemical Metal.

L

Helecoils that small (m3 or M4 thread and 4-5mm long) would be a nightmare and i was a tool maker and can use a drill

Problem is the size of the hole the depth of the hole and the fact its flat bottomed. Without a piller driull and a jig to hold the gun in I wouldent like to attempt it

I could be turning a problem into a nightmare

I was thinking of this

http://www.ukstainless.co.uk/product.asp?idproduct=95

I had similar problems. I suggest drilling a fresh hole in the rail and tapping a new hole in the receiver. Possibly half way between the two holes that have failed. As you can see there's not a lot of metal to play with.

Good luck.

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by Chasey View Post
    Had a bit of bother keeping my Ruger22 10 on Zero and discoverd the rear two screws on the weever rail are stripped alowing the rail to move if knocked.

Must have been like this when I baught it as i have never touched the rail

Question is now, can I use a epoxy or other glue to fix the rail in place?

The front two screws are fine

If so what glue do you recommend

Yes i can get it re tapped and get bigger screws and have the rail drilled out but on a 250 rifel it hardly seems worth it.

ATB

Chasey
    if you already have a hole re tapping it larger should be no issue
    a tap and a handle would be pennies and on a 250 rifle as you point out so long as it is firm it doesn't matter

I would be more interested to know how the screws managed to strip the receiver.
    its normally the screws that strip or shear leaving you with a broken end to drill out

is the receiver steel?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    if you already have a hole re tapping it larger should be no issue
    a tap and a handle would be pennies and on a 250 rifle as you point out so long as it is firm it doesn't matter

I would be more interested to know how the screws managed to strip the receiver.
    its normally the screws that strip or shear leaving you with a broken end to drill out

is the receiver steel?

Its stainless steel

sorry to say. It's aluminium. Not steel. Tap a bigger thread in the hole. It's the bast way to go. A gunsmith shouldn't charge you much for that. Or a light engineer set up could do it while you wait.

Quote Originally Posted by iain b View Post
    sorry to say. It's aluminium. Not steel. Tap a bigger thread in the hole. It's the bast way to go. A gunsmith shouldn't charge you much for that. Or a light engineer set up could do it while you wait.
    Didnt realise that?? thanks i thaught it was all stainless?

exactly the same thing happened to my rugger 10/22 when I changed the rail to a picatinny. Beware because it is easily done. I think it had been overtightened before I bought it second hand.
    Only one rear screw hole knackered though so I have just left it for now.
    yep the receiver is absolute monkey metal !!!

I think i will tap a new thread when needed.