Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scent killer suits

Question Scent killer suits

Has anyone else used them on deer from high seats?
    I bought some ABC suits that cost me 6 pounds (biological warfare protection?) from Anchor Supplies in Nottingham some 10 years ago they came in plastic vacpac bags.
    They are cotton material outside with British army camo and also with a liner of activated charcoal this catches microbes in both directions so the theory goes.
    I find after it"s been used a bit the outer material gets much softer so is less scratchy against noise creation and it is also comes in handy as an extra layer of wind breaker up in the wind on the high seat.
    I"ve had good results with it here in Germany although you do look like a "wannabe" squaddie.
    Any views?
    Martin

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Martin

Do you mean NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical)suits? I've not tried those, though I have a couple of Scent-Lok items I've picked up on my travels in the States. Personally I think this has less to do with the deer scenting you and more to do with the clothing manufacturers finding new ways to extract our money I'm of a similar opinion regarding the deer's ability to see UV. I don't believe all the UV/Scent-Lok clothes in the world will help you stalk deer if you can't follow the basics of fieldcraft. We seem to have managed perfectly well in the past without all this high-tech'ery clothing Just MHO of course....

willie_gunn

Yes Willie-gunn,
    I often get roe directly under my high seats grazing which is wonderfull except when you need a pee and want them to slide off quietly without being scared off to the next county, then I usually talk quietly to them along the lines of "it is time we both went home" and that often does the trick of to not startle them and off they go.
    Martin

That may well have more to do with your scent being above them? Thats why i can sit and smoke and they're completely unaware. I'd be interested to know your successes when actually stalking though.

I personally don't believe the hype about scent-lok kit. It doesn't completely cover your whole body such as your face or head, which you sweat alot through.

Actually i've worn those suits and it does mask some of the strong smells that the body makes and is mainly used for rut season when the deer in the u.s. and ramped up for mating and use there hear, smelling and eye sight even more cause their mind is only set on one goal and the use of soaps and the real sent lock suits work better then the nbc suit which are built to protect you from an event of a nbc attack. Try cabelas.com for the sentlock technology, and stuff to clean and soften you suit to lower the noise factor.

Martin," Scentlock suit has failed", is the favourite riposte of a travelling companion, who shall remain nameless, we then start to look at the next services stop, miles to go info!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

SD Regular
    Aka "Noddy Suits"? I would imagine they would probably work but do fall apart when wet, from memory? But at six pounds it has got to be worth a punt and certainly the green is very like the background green here in UK. The ones that I remember were just a two tone green and grey-green colour. Green body with grey-green reinforced elbows and seat. Like a modern fishing over jacket and trousers.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 06-06-2010 at 15:24.

These things are made to part you from your money they are not necessary, as for deer below your high seat that because your scent
    is passing above them deer will not normally smell you when you are in a high seat, at least not within normal shooting distance
    if they are further away its possible.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Aka "Noddy Suits"? I would imagine they would probably work but do fall apart when wet, from memory? But at six pounds it has got to be worth a punt and certainly the green is very like the background green here in UK. The ones that I remember were just a two tone green and grey-green colour. Green body with grey-green reinforced elbows and seat. Like a modern fishing over jacket and trousers.
    Now you really are showing your age - Noddy Suits have been issued in DPM for years!

I can't help feeling that whatever you wear, if the air flow is wrong, the deer will get a whiff of you. I suspect that even Noddy Suits smell of something, which I suspect would be pretty alien to most deer in the UK. German deer on the other hand may be quite familiar with the scent, mingled with Fuller's earth and not be at all bothered by it?

NBC suits

Yes, ref the noddy suits I can see the doubts.
    Unfortunatly here the tradition of stalking is frowned on by the hunt owners on all the grounds where I hunt with the comment "you will push the resident deer off my revier and give the neighbor the chance" usually they are from 300 - 600 hectares large.
    The US Cabelas skent lok has that slight too modern hunter look which is having a hard time getting established here.
    Now a scent lok integrated into a fine scottish tweed that would tick my box.
    Martin