Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunsmith North Yorks

Gunsmith North Yorks

I've been thrashing about the site with the search tool looking for a better place to post this or to see if it's been done already but to no avail.

I'm tantalisingly close to my first rifle and need a gunsmith in North Yorkshire for screw-cutting, crowning etc and would definitely take a recommend from anyone on here based on my last few weeks of research. Has anyone had any particularly good experiences? I'm in the York area.

If there are no personal and professional types up here does anyone know if Dave from South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies / Valkerie Rifles / Rimfire magic would do the work or if he only works on his custom rifles as I've never heard a bad word said about them?

Bernie

Dunno about north Yorks but Steve Kershaw has an excellent reputation. He is in Howden.

Thanks very much Brithunter that's spot on. I've seen his name in other forums but had no idea he was that close.

Cheers

Brian

HI I got my 270win done at Brian Webster of WEST TANFIELD near RIPON 01677470505, he is a very good gunsmith cost about 50

I'll look him up as well. All I'm looking for is someone who's prepared to take the time to give sound advice as this is my first rifle, moderator or anything to do with it.

Thanks again

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Although never been there, there is a dealer in Richmond, whom I have heard good reports about. Not sure if he is a Gunsmith though-

http://www.gilsansports.com/

Nothing to loose by a phone call. You could try a PM to ash243, he lives up that way.

Cheers

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Dunno about north Yorks but Steve Kershaw has an excellent reputation. He is in Howden.
    Bernie, look no further than Kershaw, pay him whatever he asks. The job will be done correctly.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Thanks very much Brithunter that's spot on. I've seen his name in other forums but had no idea he was that close.

Cheers

Brian
    Well I have met Steve on a couple of occasions and he is doing a re-barrel/restoration on an old BSA for me. We are awaiting the arrival of the barrel and the headspace guages seeing as how it's a .303 not much call for them so he did not have the guages. The work of his I have seen was very good.

His number is:- Tel 01430 430553.

Quote Originally Posted by tartinjock View Post
    Although never been there, there is a dealer in Richmond, whom I have heard good reports about. Not sure if he is a Gunsmith though-

http://www.gilsansports.com/

Nothing to loose by a phone call. You could try a PM to ash243, he lives up that way.

Cheers

TJ
    I have bought 6 new guns from Gilsan over the years so I rate them as a retailer but they made a pigs ear of a job thread cutting my rem 700 and also made a hash of a friends Sako.

Dave

Thanks for all of your replies. Brian Webster is too busy until september but seems like a thoroughly nice bloke so I may use him as my local RFD for the delivery. Just waiting to hear back from Steve Kershaw about the work.

I might drop in to Gilsan anyway as they've got a CZ452 style 16" in that I've been thinking about as well.

Thanks again

B