Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the benefits of having DSC 2 ?

Account Suspended

What are the benefits of having DSC 2 ?

What are the benefits of having DSC 2 ? I`ve got DSC 1 and considering DSC 2 but the only benefits I can see so far is the possibility of stalking on Forestry Commission land ,it looks like by the end of the day there will be no change out of a grand.

If you are relatively new to stalking, as I am, pursuing DSC 2 is a natural progression to re-enforcing what has been learnt in DSC 1 and gaining valuable practical experience, assuming your AW ever gets back to you - J - hope you are reading this.

Quote Originally Posted by N1mr0d View Post
    ...pursuing DSC 2 is a natural progression to re-enforcing what has been learnt in DSC 1 and gaining valuable practical experience, ....
    N1mr0d.

Thanks, you have a much better handle on words than I will ever have. It's a natural progression at any stage of your stalking career, be it after 1 year or after 60 years.

Regards JCS

Personal pride and satisfaction springs to mind

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Personal pride and satisfaction springs to mind
    At over 1k it appears to be an expensive ego trip, with DSC 1 you are actually taught something but DSC 2 seems to be just showing you learnt?

Hi TF My syndicate of 4 took over 1100 acres of Wiltshire with the owners condition that all members already have Level 1 and work to achieve DSC2. I know that estate owners are rightly concerned about safety/public liability and want to be sure that people creeping around on their land carrying full bore rifles can be trusted to be safe. DSC1 and 2 are about their only guarantee that this will be so. I did my DSC2 simply because I wanted the extra qualification, experience and confidence; I was fortunate that 2 years later I was invited to join this newly forming syndicate (partly I believe because I had the qualification as well as 15 years experience).
    I would advise anyone hoping to obtain, especially lowland, ground to take the DSC2 test. I am really glad that I got it and have never regretted it, for me it is a worthwhile investment in your sport opportunities. Cheers

You can do it for a lot less than 1k, and I think you have a very narrow view of what the DSC2 is,

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by s.stimson View Post
    You can do it for a lot less than 1k, and I think you have a very narrow view of what the DSC2 is,
    I don't have a full view of DSC2 at all hence I asked about the benefits , do lease let us know how it can be done cheaper than 1k.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by TikkaFan View Post
    At over 1k it appears to be an expensive ego trip, with DSC 1 you are actually taught something but DSC 2 seems to be just showing you learnt?
    DSC2 is a practical based qualification. So you're showing not just that you learnt something, but that you can consistently reach the required standard based on demonstrating both knowledge and competence.

No one is forced to do DSC2, but many find it rewarding. With almost 5,000 individuals having attained the DSC2 standard it hardly classifies as an "ego trip", but neither does it imply that you're somehow part of the stalking elite.

It doesn't require any greater level of marksmanship than DSC1 either, so no bragging rights from that perspective either
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    DSC2 is a practical based qualification. So you're showing not just that you learnt something, but that you can consistently reach the required standard based on demonstrating both knowledge and competence.

No one is forced to do DSC2, but many find it rewarding. With almost 5,000 individuals having attained the DSC2 standard it hardly classifies as an "ego trip", but neither does it imply that you're somehow part of the stalking elite.

It doesn't require any greater level of marksmanship than DSC1 either, so no bragging rights from that perspective either