Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switch barrel rifles

Switch barrel rifles

Hi all,

I've been researching my next rifle, which is always exciting. I would like a switch barrel bolt action e.g. Sauer 202, etc. that packs into a case with detachable/changeable scope. To date I've used 308 for everything but I now have a slot for a 243 on my ticket for smaller species. This could also change to 25-06. I'd get a second barrel for the bigger stuff e.g. boar/larger deer and maybe African plains game.

So far on my list of possibles are:

2nd hand:
    Sauer 202
    Older Sauers
    Heym 20/21

New:
    Schultz&Larsen
    Sauer 404 will probably be too expensive for me.
    Mauser M03

Are there any obvious ones that I'm missing? I've searched but couldn't find a comprehensive list anywhere.

All best,

Z.

The obvious exclusion in your list is the excellent straight pull Blaser rifle, either the R93 or the updated R8. Either is not cheap though.

I have just gone this very route, Blaser r93 with a 30-06 and 243 barrel. A very handy tool to shoot with. I tried a couple of your options but the Blaser worked best for me. Good luck choosing, not a bad situation to be in!!

Strasser RS05 or

Blaser K95 special edition

or BBF97.
    Blaser K95 Stutzen - the ultimate deer stalking rifle

I may have a swiss arms shr 970 delux for sale that migh suit you its in 25 06 and 30 06 they were made by sauer ?

Why not a 2nd hand Mauser M03 rather than a new one ?

Ive got an M03 extreme and it's fantastic to use , the stock is grippy with the rubber and just feels really nice

it returns to zero each and everytime

id mid choose the Mauser over a blaser everytime but that's only because I prefer a turn bolt rather than straight pull

Quote Originally Posted by boar & deer View Post
    I may have a swiss arms shr 970 delux for sale that migh suit you its in 25 06 and 30 06 they were made by sauer ?
    I nearly bought one of those when I bought a Winchester Mod 70 270 I didn't get on with instead. I always wish I had bought it, more so when taking a full length rifle on the train!

The new'ish Shultz & Larsen range is very interesting & not too pricey...check them out at Alan Rhone, Wrexham.
    Personally, I would never part with my Blaser.
    Have fun.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Have a look at the Merkel Helix range too.

I currently use this in 9.3 x 62 for driven boar, but they have an enormous range of barrel options.

It's excellent for traveling with. I just remove the stock, but Orion on here has found a smaller case, and removes the barrel too. If he sees this, I'm sure he'll post a picture.

Speak to Erwin at Alan Rhone for removable mount options.

I looked the Shultz & Larsen rifles when I was there, and they are very well made, but just a little heavy for me, for driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    I looked the Shultz & Larsen rifles when I was there, and they are very well made, but just a little heavy for me, for driven.
    Are they still making the take-down version?