Switch barrel rifles

Can you buy in Germany as an ordinary FAC holder?

If so - how does one go about bringing it home ?

Direct import. Your FAC with an open 'slot' is all that is required this end. The seller will need to obtain a Transfer Licence from their authority. Thereafter it is sent to you directly - no RFD involvement - no import duty or vat from an EU seller either. And with the £ to euro exchange rate it's often a win ,win situation. ;)

Do a forum search for more information, the procedure has been posted in detail before.

A standard turn bolt action would have been my preference over a straight pull which has been half the dilemma - as everyone has said, the straight pulls, especially Blasers, do seem to be very reliable as true switch barrels with the Sauers, etc. just lagging a little in terms of repeatability. This seems odd to my mind as larger bolt lugs rotating into a barrel should be more accurate but the evidence does seem to favour quality straight pulls.

Keep researching then! :D The Merkel RX Helix is a straight pull (with a 2:1 short throw bolt ratio) that has traditional type interrupted lugs rotating and locking directly into the barrel breech.

http://rx-helix.com/en/homepage

http://rx-helix.com/fileadmin/download/2014/Helix_Magalog_EN.pdf

It's an excellent system and the 'scope mounts directly to the receiver not the barrel. So one pair of Ziegler bases will suffice along with whatever preference you have on each 'scope/barrel combination you intend mounting to lock into them. The Helix barrels/scopes will return to zero whenever removed/mounted which I why I am confident enough to use a Peli Storm iM2700 with two layers for barrels/mags & action/stock/scopes (and more!) rather than the longer type rifle cases.

I don't switch barrels on my Sauer 200, but the 202 owners I know say they hold zero and shoot way under a MOA with both calibers.

In fact, one of them says both his calibers shoot to zero, with no adjusting of the scope settings when he changes.

The SIG SHR970 is a way inexpensive way to get into two or three barrels on one rifle. I have a .308 and a .280 Rem, with a .270 Win barrel which I had picked up long before I found the .280 so cheap in an estate collection. To change from, say, .270 to .300 Win Mag, you need to swap bolt, magazine and barrel. For .30-06 to .270, .280 Rem or 7x64, just the barrel.

The truth is that, if you can find a way to protect the trigger in packaging, you can just remove the barrelled action from a stock, especially a composite one with glass bedding, put it back and hand tighten the screws, and it will hold zero. I watched Kenny Jarrett do it with a rifle he had built on a Rem 700 action, taking it in and out of the stock over and over, shooting bullets on top of bullets at 100 yards.

The Browning BLR comes as a takedown version, and barrels are only $279.00 retail. They shoot like a bolt action. They are a bolt action, with a rotating lug lockup, operated by a lever instead of a bolt handle. Huge selection of short action, long action, magnums and short magnums.

Back