Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BASC - PreDSC1 (worth it?)

BASC - PreDSC1 (worth it?)

Guys,

Am thinking of attending a BASC PreDSC1 course to decided if the DSC1 is for me. Has anyone been on one and would care to give some feedback about what the day entails?

Many thanks

Have you shot CF rifles before (if not it may be useful for experience of that), otherwise I'd not bother. Just have a good read of the course manual before you attend.

I've shot plenty of friends CFs such as 222,223 and 243. I just got my first CF and haven't even zeroed it yet!

Quote Originally Posted by phillips321 View Post
    I've shot plenty of friends CFs such as 222,223 and 243. I just got my first CF and haven't even zeroed it yet!
    In that case I'd get hold of the manual and read up on it as much as you can (try and learn the deer seasons) and just do the dsc1 course.

In my view you would be best served if you go on an a introductory to stalking course, some of our site member do them. You will then be able to make a true assessement, as will be the course provider, whether or not a pre DS! course will benefit you. But what ever you do try and get out with a stalker who is willing to give there time to you in attaining your eventual goal,
    very good luck

Account Suspended
    When I did it the one thing some seemed to find difficult was the practical shooting test so only you can be sure of that , if you are good at studying just read the manual 2-3 times and watch the deer ID DVD 3-4 times and you will pass , I didn't study until the week before and passed , you will go through everything that is in the tests during the 3 days , some of the guys had never even shot a deer before hand and passed, get the manual and see what you think. In my opinion an introductory day is not necessary . Good Luck.

If you were unlucky enough to fail you have 3 years to re take the part you failed , its in modules so you dont have to do the whole lot again.

I think you'd be better off spending your money on a stalk. Do you need a DSC1? If so then it's just a matter of getting it done. It's a very informative course, even though I just did the cheaper self-study option.

BASC want your money. Be wise and spend it on something that will actually offer you some benefit...
    Quid enim proderit Homini si lucretur Mundum totum et detrimentum faciat Animae suae?

My personal view is that the pre DSC1 course is probably not worth the money but it depends on your personal circumstances and shooting experience.

I can think of five different guys who have joined our rifle club in the last few years who have all expressed an interest in getting into deer stalking, none of whom had any previous centrefire rifle shooting experience or even in a couple of cases any rifle shooting experience whatsoever. We also currently have another two guys who are in a similar situation. Incidentally these last two guys have access to land containing large numbers of both deer and boar via their employment in land management. None of these chaps have absolutely any interest in target shooting but in my opinion they have all made the right decision to get competent with a rifle before they decide to take the DSC1 course.

I suppose that you could say that I have run a sort of "pre DSC" or "introduction to firearms" course for all of them. Starting off with the obligatory safety issues and then developing their actual shooting skills firstly with a rimfire then a .22 centrefire and progressing up to a .308win. Over a period of only a month or perhaps six weeks shooting once a week all became quite competent shots shooting from various positions either free hand or supported (sticks, bipods shooting bags etc.). What it has really given them is the confidence that they can shoot the DSC1 shooting test and pass first time without the need for any reshoots or re-tests. After all it is nerves that normally get to even experienced shooters as soon as the word test is mentioned.

Disregarding the cost of ammo the total cost of joining our club plus a year's membership has been less than the BASC pre DSC1 course. So perhaps those interested should consider joining a suitable rifle club as an alternative.

P.S. I tend to favour the 10 shot stalkers test as shot by the BSRC when preparing "candidates" for DSC1 with all shots from the five various shooting positions taken at 100 yards. If they can achieve acceptable scores on that course of fire the DSC1 shooting test with reducing ranges is a piece of piss. As they say "train hard fight easy". I also shoot it myself occasionally in order to maintain skills.
    Last edited by 8x57; 24-01-2016 at 09:26.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Regular Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    My personal view is that the pre DSC1 course is probably not worth the money but it depends on your personal circumstances and shooting experience.

I can think of five different guys who have joined our rifle club in the last few years who have all expressed an interest in getting into deer stalking, none of whom had any previous centrefire rifle shooting experience or even in a couple of cases any rifle shooting experience whatsoever. We also currently have another two guys who are in a similar situation. Incidentally these last two guys have access to land containing large numbers of both deer and boar via their employment in land management. None of these chaps have absolutely any interest in target shooting but in my opinion they have all made the right decision to get competent with a rifle before they decide to take the DSC1 course.

I suppose that you could say that I have run a sort of "pre DSC" or "introduction to firearms" course for all of them. Starting off with the obligatory safety issues and then developing their actual shooting skills firstly with a rimfire then a .22 centrefire and progressing up to a .308win. Over a period of only a month or perhaps six weeks shooting once a week all became quite competent shots shooting from various positions either free hand or supported (sticks, bipods shooting bags etc.). What it has really given them is the confidence that they can shoot the DSC1 shooting test and pass first time without the need for any reshoots or re-tests. After all it is nerves that normally get to even experienced shooters as soon as the word test is mentioned.

Disregarding the cost of ammo the total cost of joining our club plus a year's membership has been less than the BASC pre DSC1 course. So perhaps those interested should consider joining a suitable rifle club as an alternative.

P.S. I tend to favour the 10 shot stalkers test as shot by the BSRC when preparing "candidates" for DSC1 with all shots from the five various shooting positions taken at 100 yards. If they can achieve acceptable scores on that course of fire the DSC1 shooting test with reducing ranges is a piece of piss. As they say "train hard fight easy". I also shoot it myself occasionally in order to maintain skills.
    I haven't been down in a while, but that sounds interesting Mike, I may ask you to run that by me next time I see you!!