Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Furry meat!

Furry meat!

Guys,

Each time i get given a deer it comes gralloched and that's it. Thus i need to butcher it myself. What i always find the hardest bit is skinning it without getting the fur everywhere.
    What do you guys do to stop the hairs from sticking to the meat? Shaving the deer first is not a practical solution

Thanks in advance

When you cut through the skin, sharp knife and cut from inside out.
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Its a fact of life, but as you do more it becomes much less. Where I find hair really gets in is when you cut down the legs and I often find my knife cut actually cuts hair away from the skin. I prefer to do the initial skinning with the carcass on its back and then once you have the legs skinned, hang it up and then bring the rest of the skin off using your fist to separate the skin from the meat.

Don't worry about the odd bit of hair. Easily wiped off with a paper towel. And if does remain on your roasting joint, five minutes in the oven and its gone away. A braii is also way to cook venison - all evidence of poor skinning is again removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Its a fact of life, but as you do more it becomes much less. Where I find hair really gets in is when you cut down the legs and I often find my knife cut actually cuts hair away from the skin. I prefer to do the initial skinning with the carcass on its back and then once you have the legs skinned, hang it up and then bring the rest of the skin off using your fist to separate the skin from the meat.

Don't worry about the odd bit of hair. Easily wiped off with a paper towel. And if does remain on your roasting joint, five minutes in the oven and its gone away. A braii is also way to cook venison - all evidence of poor skinning is again removed.
    Pardon my ignorance but i'm not a cook, what's a braii?

I tend to take a lot of care in skinning as I send the skins off to be tanned. When I gralloch I cut all the way from the pelvic area through the rib cage to the bottom of the jaw. This way when they come out of the chiller I just take a ballpoint knife down the inside of the legs and then working back to front (with the deer on its back) peel the skin down to the table with the aid of a skinning knife. Once both side are done. wipe the table down. turn the beast over and pull the skin whole off the back.

Now the deer is lying on a sterilised table ready to butcher free from any hair.

If I had the facilities to hang the deer up whilst skinning it would be a lot easier but as yet I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by phillips321 View Post
    Each time i get given a deer it comes gralloched and that's it. Thus i need to butcher it myself. What i always find the hardest bit is skinning it without getting the fur everywhere.
    What do you guys do to stop the hairs from sticking to the meat? Shaving the deer first is not a practical solution
    What species of deer are you getting?

Hopefully the following should be helpful:
    1. Hang the deer on a gambrel, by the hind legs.
    2. Separate the skin from the flesh starting at the base of the inside of the leg, by hand, using your fist once you have an opening, so that you can get a knife between the flesh and skin.
    3. With the knife between the flesh and skin, cut *outwards* through the skin up to the joint, by where the gambrel is hooked through.
    4. Peel the skin away from the flesh around the top of the leg so that it folds outward.
    5. Repeat on the other hind leg.
    6. In turn skin each leg. When the skin is parting easily just pull downwards as though peeling a banana, however when it gets tough, work your fist in behind the skin to separate the skin from the flesh. The skin should roll outward as you work down each leg.
    7. Continue working downwards as before until you reach the shoulders.
    8. Cut outward along the inside of each front leg, again from the base to the joint. Then peel back to the body as with the hind legs.
    9. Revert to pulling down on the hide and using your hand or fist until you run out of neck (assuming the head has already been removed!).

Established Poster
    The green nylon pot-scourers are also really good at removing stray hair from the meat.

Nick

All good advise. All I would add is relax, don't put your self under any pressure, take your time and wash any stray hairs from your hands and knives as required. Jelen did a very interesting video on how to skin a beast a while ago. Might be worth trying to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilge Rat View Post
    The green nylon pot-scourers are also really good at removing stray hair from the meat.

Nick
    +1