Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another switch barrel question

Another switch barrel question

Is it possible to switch barrels between a magnum and non-magnum calibre? If possible, what are the disadvantages? I am looking for a 7mm RM and a .243 and wondered if a single rifle will suffice.

yes as long as the action is a proofed magnum calibre [i think thats the technical way] i have one that i used to spin a 6br barrel on for short range br

Blaser R93 and R8 will do that with a change of bolt head, I don't see any disadvantage. Sauer 202 won't as the magnums require a larger action. Can't comment on Merkels etc.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Mauser mo3 will also do this , change barrel and change bolt and away you go simples

Merkel Helix - bolt face barrel and magazine change in about 15 seconds - no tools needed
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

Quote Originally Posted by darkstalker View Post
    Is it possible to switch barrels between a magnum and non-magnum calibre? If possible, what are the disadvantages? I am looking for a 7mm RM and a .243 and wondered if a single rifle will suffice.
    It depends on the rifle, to expand on what has already been pointed out, normal bolt action rifles like Tikkas, Sakos and Remingtons will require a complete bolt change as well as the barrel. Tikka T3s have a generic action length so 7mm Rem mag to to 243 and vice/versa is okay although feeding from the mag is going to be compromised from the non original rifle magazine.
    Problems arise when rifles have differing actions lengths so to accommodate both cartridges satisfactorily the original rifle choice must be capable of handling the larger/longer cartridge to begin with.

Ian.

Thanks for all the comments. I am interested in a Blaser. There is one in .243 available but will I be able to but a spare barrel and bolt in 7mmRM and use it in the same rifle? I guess smebody who uses a blaser rifle would be able to answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by darkstalker View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. I am interested in a Blaser. There is one in .243 available but will I be able to but a spare barrel and bolt in 7mmRM and use it in the same rifle? I guess smebody who uses a blaser rifle would be able to answer the question.
    You would need to change the bolt head, see http://www.blaser.de/fileadmin/edito...tion_R8_EN.pdf

The savage 110 series rifles are pretty popular for this in the states, though I'm not sure about parts availability etc here this is probably "recreational" reading. With a savage 110 (this is the standard "long" action (ie. 25-06, 270, 30-06, 300WM)) you can achieve a lot of flexibility in cartridge options. They use a barrel nut that makes swapping barrels rather simple...Some basic considerations would include:
    - verify shank type/threading is same
    - appropriate headspacing gauges
    - barrel nut wrench
    - barrel vice
    - bolt/bolt face (may be same ie 270 win and all -06 cartridges or different)

If you wanted to look at the "short" actions (savage 10 series, ie 308 win length) I would definitely do some extra homework to see if the short magnums can work with a non-magnum in a switch barrel setup as the cartridge dimensions and magazine/feeding are quite different. That said, a 300 WSM paired with either a 308, 243, 7-08 etc would be a very nice combo, just not sure about the specific considerations.

Lastly, the 300 wsm is a very efficient cartridge and not hard to reload for. It could easily be set up with a reduced poser load similar to a 308 etc and a full power magnum load without having to change barrels. No reason you couldn't do with a 300WM, but the 300 WSM does better than the WM with shorter barrels and you get the more compact action as well.

Here's one link, also loads of info in the savage shooters forum
    Change Rifle Barrels In Minutes! - Shooting Times

YMMV !
    Cheers!