Another switch barrel question

darkstalker

Is it possible to switch barrels between a magnum and non-magnum calibre? If possible, what are the disadvantages? I am looking for a 7mm RM and a .243 and wondered if a single rifle will suffice.

yes as long as the action is a proofed magnum calibre [i think thats the technical way] i have one that i used to spin a 6br barrel on for short range br

Blaser R93 and R8 will do that with a change of bolt head, I don't see any disadvantage. Sauer 202 won't as the magnums require a larger action. Can't comment on Merkels etc.

Is it possible to switch barrels between a magnum and non-magnum calibre? If possible, what are the disadvantages? I am looking for a 7mm RM and a .243 and wondered if a single rifle will suffice.

It depends on the rifle, to expand on what has already been pointed out, normal bolt action rifles like Tikkas, Sakos and Remingtons will require a complete bolt change as well as the barrel. Tikka T3s have a generic action length so 7mm Rem mag to to 243 and vice/versa is okay although feeding from the mag is going to be compromised from the non original rifle magazine.
Problems arise when rifles have differing actions lengths so to accommodate both cartridges satisfactorily the original rifle choice must be capable of handling the larger/longer cartridge to begin with.

Ian.

Thanks for all the comments. I am interested in a Blaser. There is one in .243 available but will I be able to but a spare barrel and bolt in 7mmRM and use it in the same rifle? I guess smebody who uses a blaser rifle would be able to answer the question.

The savage 110 series rifles are pretty popular for this in the states, though I'm not sure about parts availability etc here this is probably "recreational" reading. With a savage 110 (this is the standard "long" action (ie. 25-06, 270, 30-06, 300WM)) you can achieve a lot of flexibility in cartridge options. They use a barrel nut that makes swapping barrels rather simple...Some basic considerations would include:
- verify shank type/threading is same
- appropriate headspacing gauges
- barrel nut wrench
- barrel vice
- bolt/bolt face (may be same ie 270 win and all -06 cartridges or different)

If you wanted to look at the "short" actions (savage 10 series, ie 308 win length) I would definitely do some extra homework to see if the short magnums can work with a non-magnum in a switch barrel setup as the cartridge dimensions and magazine/feeding are quite different. That said, a 300 WSM paired with either a 308, 243, 7-08 etc would be a very nice combo, just not sure about the specific considerations.

Lastly, the 300 wsm is a very efficient cartridge and not hard to reload for. It could easily be set up with a reduced poser load similar to a 308 etc and a full power magnum load without having to change barrels. No reason you couldn't do with a 300WM, but the 300 WSM does better than the WM with shorter barrels and you get the more compact action as well.

Here's one link, also loads of info in the savage shooters forum
Change Rifle Barrels In Minutes! - Shooting Times

YMMV !
Cheers!

Schultz and Larsen do it also but you have to have two separate bolts one in standard case size and one in magnum, also need a different mag for some cartridges.

Just put in a variation myself for another barrel for mine in 7x64 lets me use the same mag and bolt so just a barrel swap.

If you dont need a magnum then 7x64 might be worth looking at, still a 7mm and very gentle on the shoulder if you were using it for driven game.

Barrels

Merkel Helix - bolt face barrel and magazine change in about 15 seconds - no tools needed

:thumb: Spot on - although I made it 13 seconds! :D

If changing between calibre groups the bolt face comes out attached to the barrel by leaving the bolt in the forward position - replacement is the reverse - same calibre group changes and the bolt face can remain with the bolt by simply leaving it in the open position. Add in the 1:2 mechanical advantage of the short-throw, straight pull mechanism, shrouded bolt, and manual cocking/de-cocking system and it's a cracking rifle.

Calibre groups and barrel options are detailed from page 50 onwards:http://rx-helix.com/fileadmin/download/2014/Helix_Magalog_EN.pdf

Another advantage is that the complete rifle, two barrels, 4 magazines, and two scopes and few other items will fit in a PeliStorm iM2700 case (625x500x218mm external), so not too unwieldy to travel with.

Last edited:
SIG SHR970 will do this. Loosen the barrel and replace with a magnum one, then swap the regular bolt for a magnum bolt, swap the regular magazine for the magnum magazine.

SIG SHR970 will do this. Loosen the barrel and replace with a magnum one, then swap the regular bolt for a magnum bolt, swap the regular magazine for the magnum magazine.

As it's no longer manufactured it might be difficult to obtain one, let alone the additional magnum barrel, bolt and magazine though. :D

Correct, SHR970 parts are dried up in the USA, but it was sold longer in Canada and in Europe, so there are more parts around there. I chose not to pick up a 7mm RM barrel and bolt for $150.00 combined, but did pick up a .270 Win barrel for $85.00 to go on my .308 Win. I still run up on SHR970s in .300 WM and 7mm RM for around $600 USD ( and .270, .30-06 and .280) - cheaper than an extra tube for a Blaser, Merkel or Sauer.

I mainly mentioned the SHR970 to give an example of a rifle with a singe action length which locks into the barrel. I assume a Sauer 200 or 202 would be just as easy, but I just keep my Sauer as a single chambering (.308 Win).

Back