Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Just Passed today for .22lr, .17HMR and .243....Need Help.

  1. #1
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    267

    Just Passed today for .22lr, .17HMR and .243....Need Help.

    Hiya Guys,

    I have received the good news today that I have been passed for my FAC and I am in the market for a .22lr, a .17HMR and a .243.

    The guns will be used on a regular basis on my local farm and my quarry are rabbits, pigeons, crows, rooks, magpies, foxes and muntjac. I have over 200 acres to hunt and need some advice on guns selections.

    I have 3000 to spend on all 3 including scopes and mods.

    So what rifles would you recommend ???

    I have been looking at;

    .22CZ American Varmint in Walnut.
    .17HMR Synthetic Sako Quad.
    .243 Tikka T3 Lite Varmint.(Synthetic).

    What do you guys think ???

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by robbobsam View Post
    Hiya Guys,

    I have received the good news today that I have been passed for my FAC and I am in the market for a .22lr, a .17HMR and a .243.

    The guns will be used on a regular basis on my local farm and my quarry are rabbits, pigeons, crows, rooks, magpies, foxes and muntjac. I have over 200 acres to hunt and need some advice on guns selections.

    I have 3000 to spend on all 3 including scopes and mods.

    So what rifles would you recommend ???

    I have been looking at;

    .22CZ American Varmint in Walnut.
    .17HMR Synthetic Sako Quad.
    .243 Tikka T3 Lite Varmint.(Synthetic).

    What do you guys think ???
    Why not buy the quad with both barrels .22 & .17 saving on one scope leaving more to spend on better glass ( glass x 2 instead of 3 ) or drop the Hmr and rimmy and go Hm2, best of both worlds near Hmr trajectory at rimmie prices
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

  3. #3
    Hullo,

    Binoculars

    Before you start buying muskets buy yourself some quality binoculars. I would go european - Swarovski, Ziess, Leica are pretty obvious, but Minox, Steiner, Leupold, Kahles, Meopta and many others produce high quality optics. Try as many pairs as you can in the lowest light. I would budget 1000 for binos, they are far more useful than a rifle. Look at 7/8x42 as these are generally accepted as the best multi purpose option.

    Scope(s)

    Then get yourself a top notch scope for your stalking rifle. IMHO the S&B 8x56 is the best scope for use on British game, I think they are about 500 now, but again anything from S&B, Swarovski, Ziess, Leupold, Meopta etc. will serve you very well. If you like a variable scope go for it, I think that you are better off with a fixed power as there is less to fiddle with/think about, also keep the magnification sub ten power for stalking - otherwise you will just see brown if your beast is too close www.uttings.co.uk Have very competative prices on optics - and rather good customer service too. Look at Simmons for a rimfire scope - for the money they take some beating.

    .243

    I would then look for a rifle. Second hand guns are great, a Parker Hale, BSA etc. will do the job as well as most new and shiny gun, and can cost from around 200 second hand - if not cheaper. If you want something new I would (and just have) gone for a Tikka T3 Lite/Stainless.

    Unless you are doing a lot of range work then a heavy/varmint profile barrel is as much use as a chocolate tea pot on a stalking rifle. It just adds unneccisary weight. If you are putting a mod on as well your rifle will be heavy enough . I am a fan of Moderators on all but hill rifles, minimises disturbance to people and stock (gotta keep on the right ide of your farmer ). It also may give you the chance of taking another shot in quick succesion if a couple of deer present themselves. Look at PES, T8, Ase Utra, MYM etc. - everyone has a prefence so try what you can and buy what you like. A long Bi-pod is also a must for me, so stable and not a great deal of added weight, buy a Harris one that swivels - trust me its worth the extra - again Uttings will be a good bet.


    Rimfires

    Not really my department - so I shall keep it brief (: Look at the CZ 452 range for a .22 IMHO it is the best rabbit rifle around. As .17HMR goes a Sako Quad is a nice rifle if you like a Plastic - or an Anshutz if your a timber man.


    Finally, and most important you sound pretty inexperianced. Go out as much as you can afford with a professional with a good reputation, you will learn more than you think possible, and will have a good chance of a beast, as well as finding kit you like.


    Most of all enjoy your stalking, it was the sport of Kings for a reason.


    atb

    Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Hullo,

    Binoculars

    Before you start buying muskets buy yourself some quality binoculars. I would go european - Swarovski, Ziess, Leica are pretty obvious, but Minox, Steiner, Leupold, Kahles, Meopta and many others produce high quality optics. Try as many pairs as you can in the lowest light. I would budget 1000 for binos, they are far more useful than a rifle. Look at 7/8x42 as these are generally accepted as the best multi purpose option.

    Scope(s)

    Then get yourself a top notch scope for your stalking rifle. IMHO the S&B 8x56 is the best scope for use on British game, I think they are about 500 now, but again anything from S&B, Swarovski, Ziess, Leupold, Meopta etc. will serve you very well. If you like a variable scope go for it, I think that you are better off with a fixed power as there is less to fiddle with/think about, also keep the magnification sub ten power for stalking - otherwise you will just see brown if your beast is too close www.uttings.co.uk Have very competative prices on optics - and rather good customer service too. Look at Simmons for a rimfire scope - for the money they take some beating.

    .243

    I would then look for a rifle. Second hand guns are great, a Parker Hale, BSA etc. will do the job as well as most new and shiny gun, and can cost from around 200 second hand - if not cheaper. If you want something new I would (and just have) gone for a Tikka T3 Lite/Stainless.

    Unless you are doing a lot of range work then a heavy/varmint profile barrel is as much use as a chocolate tea pot on a stalking rifle. It just adds unneccisary weight. If you are putting a mod on as well your rifle will be heavy enough . I am a fan of Moderators on all but hill rifles, minimises disturbance to people and stock (gotta keep on the right ide of your farmer ). It also may give you the chance of taking another shot in quick succesion if a couple of deer present themselves. Look at PES, T8, Ase Utra, MYM etc. - everyone has a prefence so try what you can and buy what you like. A long Bi-pod is also a must for me, so stable and not a great deal of added weight, buy a Harris one that swivels - trust me its worth the extra - again Uttings will be a good bet.


    Rimfires

    Not really my department - so I shall keep it brief (: Look at the CZ 452 range for a .22 IMHO it is the best rabbit rifle around. As .17HMR goes a Sako Quad is a nice rifle if you like a Plastic - or an Anshutz if your a timber man.


    Finally, and most important you sound pretty inexperianced. Go out as much as you can afford with a professional with a good reputation, you will learn more than you think possible, and will have a good chance of a beast, as well as finding kit you like.


    Most of all enjoy your stalking, it was the sport of Kings for a reason.


    atb

    Sam
    x1, well said Sam!

    I was given the advice to spend as much (or more) on a telescopic sight as i did on the rifle, it's still good advice!

    ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

  5. #5
    I would advise you to shop with an experienced mate and try some second hand rifles for fit. Just like a car, you can pick up a 'nearly new' rifle for half price in a lot of shops. A lot of used stalking rifles haven't fired more than 300 rounds in their working lives.

  6. #6
    On the .22 7 17HMR aspect go for the Sako Quad - i got the Hunter at the start of this year and its a great versatile bit of kit!

    If i change from 17HMR to the .22 barrel i click in 36 up & 16 right & the opposite for .22 to 17HMR - the point of aim after the switch is always zero! great for when you quickly want to change calibre for the quarry or ground on the spur of the moment outing....

    Rob

  7. #7
    For the rimmies, I'd go CZ everytime. You can pay more but it won't do the job any better.

    Personally I'd skip the HM2. It's too inbetween LR and HMR. Costs more to shoot than the LR and it's louder, doesn't have the range and power of HMR. Add to this, the take up of it globally hasn't been as great as HMR, it would be worth checking you can get ammo for it locally.

    For glass on a rimfire, you don't need to spend masses. A decent mil-dot 3-9x40(or 50) for the LR and maybe a little more mag for the HMR and no need really for mil dots.
    Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker .243 - Predator 8 - Schmidt & Bender 6x42
    CZ 452 Silhouette 20" .17HMR - SAK - Pecar Berlin 4-10x50
    CZ 452 Silhouette 16" .22LR - SAK - Pecar Berlin Champion 6x45
    Air Arms S400 Xtra FAC .22 - Leupold M8 6x36
    Verney Carron 12b O/U DTEj

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Boghossian View Post
    I would advise you to shop with an experienced mate and try some second hand rifles for fit. Just like a car, you can pick up a 'nearly new' rifle for half price in a lot of shops. A lot of used stalking rifles haven't fired more than 300 rounds in their working lives.
    I agree with Bh. Also I am embarrassed to disclose how many rifles I have owned. I tried to count them up but ran out of fingers. Buy a good second hand rifle and get yourself the best glass you can afford. Once you start shooting whatever you are going to shoot, you will quickly form an opinion on what you would like to try next. Buying new and trading in shortly afterwards is a painful process. Good luck. JCS

  9. #9
    dont bother with 22lr just use the HMR for everything and get some decent night vision to go with your guns. then buy the Tikka centerfire with the change

  10. #10
    On the rimfire choice I would cetainly look at the Weihrauch range. These are top rifles with, in most cases, beautiful stocks and very accurate. Priced about the 650 mark

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted Sako Quad with .22LR and .17HMR barrels
    By KevinF in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 10:14
  2. Passed my DSC1 this afternoon
    By Gez in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 21-11-2009, 18:30
  3. I've passed DSC 1
    By GarethW in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-11-2009, 09:51
  4. Passed Level 1!
    By novice in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 19:38
  5. Woohoo!! passed my DSC1 today.
    By SteveOh in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-03-2009, 21:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •