savage or browning

bobby18

Got my renewal today so looking to get new rifle in 223,at the moment been looking at the savage accustalker or browning x bolt eclipse anybody got one of these and what are your views

Hi bobby18 being in the fortunate position of testing a lot of different rifles I personaly would go for the browning over the savage.I,m not saying that the savage is one to avoid as I do own a savage in 17hmr which I have found to be reliable and for the price they are perfectly sevicable but I have found the browning had a quality feel to it that the savage lacked with the savage dare I say it having a more 'agricutural' feel to it but as with everthing it all comes down to personal taste both types I have tested shot well out of the box

I have to agree with Mathieson , the Savage is a bit agricultural . That being said , I've never had one that didn't shoot well . As a matter of fact I'm in the process of putting a 358 Winchester together on a Stevens 200 ( a cheaper version of the savage model 10/11 ) They're great rifles , just don't expect to impress your friends with one . The Browning X Bolt seems to be a good rifle , but having never owned one , I can't honestly give an opinion on them . I have a few friends that use them , all of them have nothing but praise for them . As Mathieson says , it's all a matter of personal taste in the end .

Good luck , AB

savage i've not shot, but I had a browning .223 and it was ok, a year later replaced it with a secondhand sako and never looked back.

my thoughts reflecting on what i had, would i buy a browning - in a word no, i would think you would be better hanging back, saving your pennies up and get a tikka, they are probably one of the best out of the box rifles around, reliable and very accurate, and will serve you well

good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on

atb

Phil

savage i've not shot, but I had a browning .223 and it was ok, a year later replaced it with a secondhand sako and never looked back.

my thoughts reflecting on what i had, would i buy a browning - in a word no, i would think you would be better hanging back, saving your pennies up and get a tikka, they are probably one of the best out of the box rifles around, reliable and very accurate, and will serve you well

good luck and enjoy whatever you decide on

atb

Phil
+1 on this Bobby. One of my foxing buddies bought the X-bolt, but neither of us could get on with the trigger. I dare say with a bit of work it could probably be improved a fair bit though.
After shooting my Tikka and Sako on the range he chopped it straight in for a second hand T3 and is now shooting with a new level of confidence.
I'm not trying to knock Browning rifles at all, there are many owners out there perfectly satisfied with them, in fact my father has a T-bolt in 17HMR and likes it a lot but again I can't get on with that either! (so maybe it's just me?)
I'm only an hour or so down the M4 from you in Cardiff and your welcome to try either of mine before making a decision if it helps. (PM me)

ATB Lee

Been thinking of a tikka as well ,the only thing i was wandering is the x bolt has 24 inch barrel and savage and tikka have 20 inch barrels ,ballistically wise would i be better off with 24 inch barrel.Never had a varmint before so what would it be like to carry around for a while, it will be mostly used for out of a truck or sit and wait and shooting at targets.

I have just ordered a new X Bolt synthetic Stalker, and while I have not got it yet I did try various x bolts in various shops had have to say that the trigger is crisp and clean - a great improvement on older models.

Barrel length depends of the specific model and calibre, my .270 will come in 22" and factory threaded. (T3 is only available "off the self" in 20")

One of my foxing buddies bought the X-bolt, but neither of us could get on with the trigger. I dare say with a bit of work it could probably be improved a fair bit though.
There is nothing wrong with the trigger in my opinion, they are a bit heavy when out of the factory, but they can be easily adjusted by the owner, in fact i would say it's one of the best parts of the X-Bolt.
Agreed Tikka are good guns, but the question was Savage or Browning, so based on my experience having seen all the above it's a Browning for me.
But of course, if i had the money it would Sako, and then Blaser!
Cheers
Richard

Hi
I have an X-Bolt Varmint in 243 24 inch barrel. I think it is an excellent rifle, the SF trigger is excellent, my target shooting mates were impressed although the no first stage trigger took them by suprise. It was v-bulling at 600yds consistently with factory ammo in the hands of better shooters. the stock is comfy and the action is smoother than the remmy 700. I like the detachable mag and the button to operate the bolt when the safety is on. Whats not to like?

Eddie

Have you looked on the savageshootersforum? I have been on getting info on the mod25 in 17 hornet, it has made me more undecided! In general they seem to be an accurate rifle but they have problems too

There is nothing wrong with the trigger in my opinion, they are a bit heavy when out of the factory, but they can be easily adjusted by the owner, in fact i would say it's one of the best parts of the X-Bolt.
Agreed Tikka are good guns, but the question was Savage or Browning, so based on my experience having seen all the above it's a Browning for me.
But of course, if i had the money it would Sako, and then Blaser!
Cheers
Richard
As I said Richard, not try to knock the X-bolt at all. Probably just my shooting style.
I've only owned Tikka's and Sako's in centre fires and as I'm sure you'll agree familiarity with constantly using your own kit breeds confidence which then results in more accurate shooting.
You're probably more accurate with your X-bolt than I am with either of my rifles!

ATB Lee

20 inch barrel for .223 is plenty long enough and I'd go for a S/H Tikka T3 rather than the two choices you've suggested

Back