Lead ban?

SC243

There is a fair amount of speculation regarding a possible lead ban for stalkers. The shooting press have printed several articles on it recently and Bruce Potts is doing a special in Shooting Times comparing copper and lead ammunition.
RSPB have stated that they have banned the use of lead for deer control on their land and the government are setting up a ‘Lead Ammunitions Group’ to look into the possible risk of lead ammunition.
We already have a ban on the use of lead for waterfowl and there are plenty of people complaining about the non-lead ammunition not being as effective.
With a possible ban on the use of all lead ammunition:
Has anyone been using non-lead ammo for a long time and do they prefer it over lead ammo?
Can anyone recommend a non-lead (copper) .243 round to try?

I'm pretty certain Barnes do a 6mm X bullet and perhaps Lapua will have a 6mm Naturalis. Neither will be cheap.

i dont know much if anything about lead substitutes, what materials are used that would give the same weight and would expand and carry the same energy into the target to kill the same way lead does?

I'm not certain how your body politic works but you'd better fight that ban with tooth and nail. There is no substitute for lead, and d*mned little credible evidence that lead will harm anything. Lord. Don't get me started.~Muir

I prefer the barnes TSX to lead, hits hard with very little meat damage although as deer managers that should be secondary as long as the beast is culled quickly and humanly!? This is in my Swede, not tried them in my .308 yet.

Cor, you are a defeatest lot - given up on lead already have you?

Tell them to go get stuffed. I am truely P****d off with having everything that I have an intrest in being taken away from me.

First it was my mini 14, then it was my pistols, after that it was the fox drives. Getting hold of any bullets in other than the most popular calibres is a nightmare, and to have to pay even more than we already pay would be even more criminal.

Any one would think that we live in some sort of stalinist state. Rant over (for now).

I'm not certain how your body politic works but you'd better fight that ban with tooth and nail. There is no substitute for lead, and d*mned little credible evidence that lead will harm anything. Lord. Don't get me started.

I would disagree with the latter part. Study after study after study has shown lead to be harmful if ingested in sufficient quantity.

That is why lead in paint on children's toys was banned forty to fifty years ago in my youth, why lead shot for inland fishermen was banned and we don't have lead water pipe plumbing in our houses.

But as far as shooting goes there is no substitute for lead that does the job as well combining density with the ability to be easily formed into shot or bullet, as cheaply and as effectively.

It were almost as if lead had every single useful property for bullet and shot making. And I also agree that any further ban should be also resisted.

Lead ban

This has been rumbling on since the seventies when the USA started it.
This ban if and when it comes in will, without a doubt change the face of shooting in this country for ever. It would be true to say that possibly rifle shooting would be the least affected, however all forms of shotgun shooting will dramatically changed. Pigeon shooters beware, no more going out and blowing off several boxes of cartridges, game shooting will become out of reach for most and the high bird boys won't be able to operate.
All country sports will be touched to a greater or lesser degree, I have seen so many changes to the shooting sports scene in my lifetime, few of them benefit the ordinary bloke who likes a bit of shooting. This in my opinion is the greatest threat to our sport (and to many livelihoods) and would be a disaster to all of us. Beware, and fight it tooth and nail.

I prefer the barnes TSX to lead, hits hard with very little meat damage although as deer managers that should be secondary as long as the beast is culled quickly and humanly!? This is in my Swede, not tried them in my .308 yet.

I have heard this, that the all copper bullets are as hard hitting and do not cause as much damage to the meat. So there is more to it then just a chance of lead poisoning, a very small chance, I wonder how much venison you would have to eat?
What is the difference in cost between lead and copper ammo?

I also agree that we should resist any further restrictions on shooting (Muir and 8x57), but we have seen what happened with the ban on using lead when shooting waterfowl. They will look at the evidence and not listen to shooters, nanny state, possibly???

I wish to raise the possibillity of Copper/Bronze contamination of carcasses, from the use of Monometal bullets leading to early recovery from Arthritic conditions, this may also lead to prolonged life & the further ability to write & sign cheques into your 90's.

I wish to raise the possibillity of Copper/Bronze contamination of carcasses, from the use of Monometal bullets leading to early recovery from Arthritic conditions, this may also lead to prolonged life & the further ability to write & sign cheques into your 90's.

Nice one.:lol:

Hi guys (and girls)

I still don't 'fully appreciate' ALL the pros and cons of getting rid of lead but here's my 10 pence worth...........

Lead in water pipes......banned

Lead in paint..........banned

Lead in anything that's that's used 'in' the home..........banned

Lead in any manufacturing industry (unless it's actually manufacturing lead).............banned

My children eat my venison which has been dispatched with a lead bullet............banned ?......No

I really don't care about what the bullet is made of....lead, copper, anal suppositories, whatever. AS LONG IT PERFORMS IT'S PRIMARY FUNCTION OF INDUCING 'HYDRAULIC SHOCK' TO THE ANIMAL'S BRAIN and dropping the animal in a 'similar' way to lead, then where is the problem with utilizing alternate metallic compounds that can be 'PROVEN TO BE SAFE AND EFFECTIVE'

Rocky

Back