Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bergara rifles

Bergara rifles

Hi has anyone got 1 of these latest rifles? I am looking to get another calibre and was thinking of either .270 or 308.
    My other option is x bolt or howa.
    I have a howa .243 now but would like a change.
    Any opinions?
    Regards Dan

My brother does - the b14 is a rem 700 copy and seems very well made, and I think has a Timney trigger. Apparently most after market parts from the 700 fit them. I don't have experience of 700s but I understand the design is very well respected but they are badly put together these days - this gun isn't badly put together, and I hear fairly good things about bergara barrels as replacements on other guns.
    it hasn't had a lot of use yet but we got it shooting straight with a box of cartridges and is nice to use. It came from Brock and Norris who fettled it for him, including adjusting the trigger, so I don't know what they are like straight out of the box.
    now for my opinion! I have two second hand husqvarna 1900s, one was 200 and one 500. I don't mind taking the chance with a second hand gun and I would rather have either of those huskys or an old sako 75 etc all day long than any of the lower to mid end new rifles around today, for the same or less money. But my brother isn't me and he would always prefer a new item that has less potential aggravation factors associated. I helped him look at new lower - mid end rifles and this is definitely one of the better ones, and he is happy with it.
    ES

And we both have 6.5x55 which we love as a calibre, you should put that in the mix alongside 270 and 308 for a change from 243. Mild mannered and Accurate.

I had a brief shot with one in .243 that belongs to SD member DRN while he was running the barrel in. My thoughts were that the bolt was super slick, and it fitted me well, handled superbly and was very comfy to shoot (we shot it unmoderated). The stock is a no nonsense, black plastic job and is fine, but I have heard that the barrelled action will fit Remington 700 stocks (can anyone confirm?) so if it was me I'd probably find a used HS precision or similar to put it in. I'd personally definitely choose one over a Howa (not that there is anything wrong with Howas!). I know two or three folks with Bergara barrels on semi custom rifles and they shoot superbly.

Hi Essexsussex
    I'm not sure on cal yet. I use my .243 for muntjac and roe on my local permission. The next rifle will be for stalking trips on bigger deer. I'm planning a trip to Scotland on reds for my 40th and thought it's a good excuse for another calibre.
    I'm told that the .270 can be a kicker. What is the 6.6x55 like?

Hi Dan - the 6.5 I like for reds, some don't, there are loads of which is best threads on here focused on 6.5 that you should read. It kicks less than 243, but then 270 isn't to be afraid of either (especially with a mod) it's just about being used to it. None of them will actually hurt you, particularly considering the small number of shots most of us take in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by otisthedog View Post
    I had a brief shot with one in .243 that belongs to SD member DRN while he was running the barrel in. My thoughts were that the bolt was super slick, and it fitted me well, handled superbly and was very comfy to shoot (we shot it unmoderated). The stock is a no nonsense, black plastic job and is fine, but I have heard that the barrelled action will fit Remington 700 stocks (can anyone confirm?) so if it was me I'd probably find a used HS precision or similar to put it in. I'd personally definitely choose one over a Howa (not that there is anything wrong with Howas!). I know two or three folks with Bergara barrels on semi custom rifles and they shoot superbly.
    ^^this sums up my feelings of it, except I'm too tight to do much after market stuff, I might go for the walnut stock from new if I didn't like the basic black jobby

.270 win only kick on a poor fitting rifle or a very light one.
    total pussycat with a mod on.

Good value I have one in 300 win mag nice to shoot and accurate.

Hi flyfifer,

I picked my B14 in .300 two days before Xmas impressed with the test target but i have not dressed mine yet will be going to the shooting show to buy some goodies what ammo have you had the best results with.