Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trophy Measuring

Trophy Measuring

Hi All,

I have just bagged my first Roe Buck and I think it might be a contender for a medal. How do you guys get yours measured? I remember seeing a trophy measuring service at Gamefairs ( BDS or BASC I think). Does anyone know of the next venue they are attending?

Thanks

cic attending the CLA in july mate !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

There is a little more to it than that.
    When you boil the head do NOT cut the scull as they deduct a statutory 90 gramms for an uncut scull, cutting can be haphazard and lose you points.
    Secondly there has to be a 90 day `drying out` period of the head before an assessment can be made.
    You could get it done by the C.I.C. at the `Midland` which I believe is in September.
    I have one going down for a guest then also.

As a matter of interest what is the current `boiled off` weight in gramms ?

HWH.

Trophy Roe

I have cut it through the eye socket and nose and at the moment it weighs 400g

On that weight it could make a bronze. Well done. FM.

Thanks.
    Your cut is the traditional one but you have done yourself no favours by cutting the scull.
    I think there may be a deduction of 65 gramms for this cut but by time the drying-out process is completed I believe you will not achieve the 105 CIC points required for Bronze.

The one shot by my guest on April 30th. weighs 495 gramms today and has already lost about 30 gramms drying out since it was boiled off. It has not been cut and therefore will have 90 gramms deducted, it should make a medal.

HWH.

must a muntjac head be dryed for 90 days aswell, or is this this just for the roe ?

I have cut it through the eye socket and nose and at the moment it weighs 400g . If this is indeed the cut you have done there should be no deductions and you will indeed be close to a bronze but only after the drying time. If you have cut it from the back of the skull to the tip of the nose (long nose cut ) you will as said by stag loose atleast 65 grams. For any one shooting a deer that is of good quality please dont cut the skull as the 90grm deduction is less that you will loose in general as a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewT059 View Post
    must a muntjac head be dryed for 90 days aswell, or is this this just for the roe ?
    no muntjac go on length and span not weight

Muntys.

1. Inside span between Main Beams.
    2. Length of Main Beam.
    3. Length of Brow Tine.
    4. Circumference of Coronet.
    5. Circumference of Antler at mid-distance up beam.

Each antler measured separately and each feature compared with the opposite member and any difference
    placed in a column to be deducted from the aggregate of right and left antler. The Inside Span is then added to get the final total of points.
    This was the system used when I had a nice one measured but it failed due to lack of beam and coronet circumference but the criteria may have changed since then.

HWH.