Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope crimp how serious?

Scope crimp how serious?

I have just bought a lisenfeld 4-9x42 which was a good price from e bay. It has arrived and has a bit of a crimp in it. The seller gave me a fairly monotone response, send it back or use it, so I wonder how serious it will be. It is a 26mm tube and looks like a 1" mount may have been used.

I have no idea if this is a bad case of crimping or superficial as I have never seen a case of it befor.

the crimping is a depression 1/2 of the way round, perhaps half a mm deep. Is this likely to have an effect on the functioning of the scope? I don't know what is inside the front end of a scope that could be disturbed by this. I am going to try and bore sight it on my 6.5 tomorrow, so I will know if the crosshairs move ok.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	65762Click image for larger version. 

Views:	163 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	65763Click image for larger version. 

Views:	185 
Size:	255.7 KB 
ID:	65762Click image for larger version. 

Views:	163 
Size:	251.8 KB 
ID:	65763

Thanks in in advance for any help.

Wouldn't of thought that would done any damage, depending on how much you paid, I'd just kick on and make it pay for itself!

Thanks Tuck - seemed good value, lisenfeld glass is good so I am inclined to agree with you. I just don't know what would and what wouldn't affect a scope.

To be honest I think you'd have to check the tracking and as long as she's holding zero, get on and shoot.

Shouldn't be a problem - as long as it zeroes with plenty vertical and horizontal adjust still available.
    There's no optical or mechanical bits inside the tube at the point where it's crimped.

Cheers

Bruce

Looks like some idiot has used 1" rings on a 26mm scope. If I remember correctly Lisenfeld made tubes in both 1" and 26mm. Lisenfeld Jaguar 6x42 was on on of my old stalking rifles..

Good scope the glass is very good I've a few as long as it holds zero and tracks crack on and use it if you got it at a good price.

I bought one in Germany (it seems after the owner died all the old stock was bought up as a job lot and the buyer is slowly shifting it out into egun) the one I bought would not keep to point of aim even while zeroing at a range so it is in the shi**te bucket at home now, experience is the most expensive and most effective learning tool.
    Martin

Depends what you paid for it and whether it performs
    if cheap test it
    if not cheap I wouldn't even put mounts on it! Can't stand surprises when buying things!

Quote Originally Posted by welshwarrior View Post
    Good scope the glass is very good I've a few as long as it holds zero and tracks crack on and use it if you got it at a good price.
    +1 give it a try. Buying a secondhand scope can be a bit of a gamble if one of the lesser known or one of the cheaper scopes. A pity that Lisenfeld are no longer in business as I'm sure that their warranty was quite good.

I'm not sure that the crimping was done by fitting the scope in the wrong size mounts as I've seen similar damage done where the right size mounts have been used but over tightened. In fact I did the same myself some years ago with a Weaver scope that wouldn't hold in a set of Parker Hale mounts. When put in a decent set of mounts no problems and in spite of the slight crimp the Weaver served me well for many years.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.