Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25-06 or 6.5x55

25-06 or 6.5x55

I know this question may have come up before but I am considering changing my .308 and 22-250 for one rifle and either of the above would seem to fit the bill.
    It would be used for everything from foxes to large red stags so I would be interested in peoples opinions. I have noticed that the swede seems to have heavier bullets available in factory ammunition.

Not much in it to be honest. The 25.06 probably has the edge on performance but can only go up to 120grain. However, that is big enough for anything in UK.
    I would think ammo availability should be your deciding factor if you don't home load? I use a 25.06 with a 115grain bullet at 2900fps and it is very effective on everything from muntjac up to Breckland Reds which are the largest in the UK. If you don't reload though expect to pay a premium for such calibres.
    MS

Quote Originally Posted by purdey24 View Post
    I know this question may have come up before but I am considering changing my .308 and 22-250 for one rifle and either of the above would seem to fit the bill.
    It would be used for everything from foxes to large red stags so I would be interested in peoples opinions. I have noticed that the swede seems to have heavier bullets available in factory ammunition.
    I used a .25-06 for 35+years culling very large numbers of all species of Deer mainly Fallow and Big Red's for me 120gr nosler partitions or Barnes ttsx use soft lesser Projectiles can result in a messy carcass.
    Fox's 75gr V-Max devastating but all Projectiles/ammunition is home Loaded.
    6.5x55se is what I now use home load Barnes TTSX 120 gr or Lrx 127gr
    Which do I feel is best. ??????
    Both equal But 6.5x55se has the edge with factory ammunition
    If you do more foxing then .25-06 but only because i have yet to load/develop a Fox round
    IMHO you won't be disappointed with either calibre

As others have said you won't be disappointed with either - it really is a case of which do you fancy more? I've used both - my first calibre was a Swede used mainly on Roe but now I have a .25 mainly for Fallow which I reload for the enjoyment. Factory ammunition has been good for it £14.50 for PPU up to £45 for GMX!
    I personally don't get the messy carcass idea with the .25 based on my experience.

Really is down to personal choice - but whichever you get I hope you enjoy it!

I have the same choice!

I currently run a 25 06 but it is a short barrel so is getting a new tube. The 2 choices are rebarrel to a 26" 25 06 or a 6.5 of some type, probably a swede.

I have taken both large sika, and large red stags with the 25 and its been just fine.

They are both medium power rounds but with different delivery, the 25 trumps in trajectory but the swede on penetration and bullet choice. They are both very mild to shoot when moderated.

i think the 25 is more of an all rounder if varminting and foxing is on the cards, it is a brutal performer. It is harder to source factory ammo for. The X factor is monolithic usage. A lot of leases specify this, and the extra flexibility of bullet weights play towards the swede-the 25 is stuck on 100gn and below.
    Last edited by JH83; 24-01-2016 at 04:02.

Blog Entries
    I've shot fox upto fallow with my .25-06 and 100gr Noslers. The complaints department is very quiet!

I have felt that on the Fallow once or twice perhaps something a bit harder would be better.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

No experience with the 25.06 but I shoot with the 6.5x55 and it has taken red and roe with minimal carcass damage, dropped every fox I've ever hit with it too. Very good range of bullet weights, I also reload for mine for the sheer enjoyment of it with bullet weights from 100g to 140g, I don't think you would be disappointed.

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Another vote for the swede. I know people who shoot the 25-06 with really good effect. The only advice I can add was last autumn on rutting red stags with a friend who shoots 25-06, the guide felt that the 25-06 could be a bit light and tend to get more runners whilst happy with the 6.5x55, which proved its worth on that day. That being said it is always about bullet placement but on balance I think the better penetration of the 6.5 does make a difference.

BE

Agree with many of the posts.

I've used a .25-06 for everything from roe to lowland reds with 100gr BT to good effect. Yes, the "occasional" bullet on bone has resulted in a "messy" carcass but overall very effective. It can be a tricky load to get right with reloading but have found RL19 with 100gr bullets work well.

Have now changed to a 6.5 x 55 and am loving the 140gr factory and home loads.

On balance I would suggest if you are sticking to one rifle then the Swede will give you greater flexibility of bullet weights and very mild recoil.

If you take it abroad think of how likely you are to find 25-06 rounds in the back of beyond!

The Swede is a lot more efficient, and if you reload for it you'll be able to boost the performance to not far off the 25-06 in a modern rifle. If you want to go with the -06 case, the .270 wrings out considerably more performance.

Both rounds are more than adequate for UK hunting but that's just my 2p.