Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sako L61R

sako L61R

Hi any one got or know where I can get a recoil lug for a sako L61R any help appreciated

got a spare one on the shelf. call me on Tuesday between 9.00 am and 6.pm on 01948 841021. yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by brock and norris View Post
    got a spare one on the shelf. call me on Tuesday between 9.00 am and 6.pm on 01948 841021. yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles
    Sorry to hijack the thread...

...Mike: do you know if the origonal stocks came with metal sleeves around both action screws? And how much of a job is it to convert the origonal pressure point bedding to a glass bedded action with a free floating barrel?

Many tganks

Quote Originally Posted by brock and norris View Post
    Brilliant Mike thank you will call first thing Tuesday morning

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

...Mike: do you know if the origonal stocks came with metal sleeves around both action screws? And how much of a job is it to convert the origonal pressure point bedding to a glass bedded action with a free floating barrel?

Many tganks
    I cant recall metal sleeves on the L61r but I have one in the armoury so I can check. In answer to the bedding question absolutely no problem to bed and float the barrel, yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles

Yes, the L61R came with brass tubing for pillars for the action screws. I will look up a link to detailed how-to with photos for glass bedding one.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    Yes, the L61R came with brass tubing for pillars for the action screws. I will look up a link to detailed how-to with photos for glass bedding one.

That's great - thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post

Many tganks
    Mungo - pressure bedding is / was the proper way to bed a fine rifle. It shoots well so don't mess with it. Free floating barrels also shoot well and are liked by modern manufacturers because it cheap to run an oversize router down the stock. On a wood stocked rifle pressure bedding is often far more reliable with constant pressure on the barrel. If the stock warps (and if its proper wood and well seasoned it should n't) then it is only a slight variation in pressure. If you have a free floating barrel and you add pressure from warping so that it starts touching the barrel you have a whole host of problems.

Don't worry - it's getting test fired first before decisions about what to do next.

I'll tell you an interesting story about this one that refers to an RFD about whom we already had doubts...

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Mungo - pressure bedding is / was the proper way to bed a fine rifle. It shoots well so don't mess with it. Free floating barrels also shoot well and are liked by modern manufacturers because it cheap to run an oversize router down the stock. On a wood stocked rifle pressure bedding is often far more reliable with constant pressure on the barrel. If the stock warps (and if its proper wood and well seasoned it should n't) then it is only a slight variation in pressure. If you have a free floating barrel and you add pressure from warping so that it starts touching the barrel you have a whole host of problems.
    interesting I took my l61r to my local smith and mentioned floating the barrel he said it was pressure bedded and for a reason .he said see how it shot and go from there ....it shot fine so I left it alone .it would only fire maybe upto 3-4 shots in quick succession so no deviation because of heat ect
    norma