Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've Chosen the calibres, now to choose the guns!

I've Chosen the calibres, now to choose the guns!

Morning all!
    ive decided to apply for a .17hmr and a 243. Some may argue it's not the ideal combination but I've done it so that's that.
    Now I've got the slightly more exciting task of choosing what to buy, I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't really want to spend much more than £1500/£1600 all in, everything included.

I'm pretty set on a CZ 452/455 for the hmr as I've always got on well with them. As for the .243, what to you all think of the Howa 1500? I get the feeling that some view it as slightly cheap and nasty. My other thought is a browning Abolt 3.

It'll be used mainly for lowland stalking/foxing with lots of highseat work and some lamping too.

Thank you you in advance.

Morning

Do you need to buy new for first rifles? There is always secondhand kit coming up on here, Guntrader and Gunstar.

You'll need to spend about £250 on each scope and at least £150 on binos (if you can't see it, you can't shoot it!). Add in mounts and moderators and you'll have about £300 to spend on each rifle... Less if you add ammo, rifle bag/s slings, knife, cleaning kit.

You might want to concentrate on one rig initially, in which case the .243... Tikka T3 is always a good choice:
    https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sa...51003112710002

This is the fun bit, so enjoy!
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 24-01-2016 at 09:51. Reason: Typo with plaster on fingers!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I don't entirely agree with your choice of calibres but that's a personal thing, your selection of rifles however seems to be just about bang on for starting out.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Morning

Do you need to buy new for first rifles? There is always secondhand kit coming up in there, Guntrader and Gunstar.

You'll need to spend about £250 on each scope and at least £150 on binos (if you can't see it, you can't shoot it!). Add in mounts and moderators and you'll have about £300 to spend on each rifle... Less if you add ammo, rifle bag/s slings, knife, cleaning kit.

You might want to concentrate on one rig initially, in which case the .243... Tikka T3 is always a good choice:
    https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sa...51003112710002

This is the fun bit, so enjoy!
    very sound advice.

Why not just wait until a suitable outfit turns up at a price you think is worth it to you. That's what I did, and am still doing. I had a variation a while back and now have an empty slot for a .204, I keep my eyes open and will wait until something suitable turns up that I think is worth the money to me.

Cz is a great choice for your .17 but don't neglect it as a choice for your .243. The cz 550 is a very underrated rifle. Accurate, well made (no plastic), reliable, tough. A good clean second hand one, with a good second hand scope such as a fixed power schmidt and bender, would be a very effective combination.
    Last edited by Glen of Imaal; 24-01-2016 at 11:15.

Someone recently posted a photo of the new CZ Ebony rifle that they had just bought and a rather nice looking rifle it was as well an it was not expensive either.

if you are not fussed about new, what about a Parker Hale or a BSA in 243. Lots about for silly money. I managed to pick up a BSA Stuzen with Zeiss fixed scope plus RFD fees for less than £300

Good choice on calibers, will cover all UK needs.
    Got a plastic 452 for general use and a howa 308 for big, longer range use.
    Find the howa a bit heavy for lugging around on a walk about.
    Tip, try and get the same screw cut for both, then the 243 mod can do double duty

Quote Originally Posted by joe soapy View Post
    Tip, try and get the same screw cut for both, then the 243 mod can do double duty
    Really? I have read some stuff on here in my time but that is right up there. I would recommend getting a dedicated .17 moderator as it will have the advantage of actually moderating your rifle! It will also weigh far less. A 243 moderator will look and feel ridiculous on an HMR.