I've Chosen the calibres, now to choose the guns!

oxfordshirestalker

Morning all!
ive decided to apply for a .17hmr and a 243. Some may argue it's not the ideal combination but I've done it so that's that.
Now I've got the slightly more exciting task of choosing what to buy, I'm on a pretty tight budget and don't really want to spend much more than £1500/£1600 all in, everything included.

I'm pretty set on a CZ 452/455 for the hmr as I've always got on well with them. As for the .243, what to you all think of the Howa 1500? I get the feeling that some view it as slightly cheap and nasty. My other thought is a browning Abolt 3.

It'll be used mainly for lowland stalking/foxing with lots of highseat work and some lamping too.

Thank you you in advance.

Morning

Do you need to buy new for first rifles? There is always secondhand kit coming up on here, Guntrader and Gunstar.

You'll need to spend about £250 on each scope and at least £150 on binos (if you can't see it, you can't shoot it!). Add in mounts and moderators and you'll have about £300 to spend on each rifle... Less if you add ammo, rifle bag/s slings, knife, cleaning kit.

You might want to concentrate on one rig initially, in which case the .243... Tikka T3 is always a good choice:
https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Tikka_Rifle_T3-Hunter_For-Sale_151003112710002

This is the fun bit, so enjoy!

Last edited:
I don't entirely agree with your choice of calibres but that's a personal thing, your selection of rifles however seems to be just about bang on for starting out.

Morning

Do you need to buy new for first rifles? There is always secondhand kit coming up in there, Guntrader and Gunstar.

You'll need to spend about £250 on each scope and at least £150 on binos (if you can't see it, you can't shoot it!). Add in mounts and moderators and you'll have about £300 to spend on each rifle... Less if you add ammo, rifle bag/s slings, knife, cleaning kit.

You might want to concentrate on one rig initially, in which case the .243... Tikka T3 is always a good choice:
https://www.guntrader.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Tikka_Rifle_T3-Hunter_For-Sale_151003112710002

very sound advice.

Why not just wait until a suitable outfit turns up at a price you think is worth it to you. That's what I did, and am still doing. I had a variation a while back and now have an empty slot for a .204, I keep my eyes open and will wait until something suitable turns up that I think is worth the money to me.

Cz is a great choice for your .17 but don't neglect it as a choice for your .243. The cz 550 is a very underrated rifle. Accurate, well made (no plastic), reliable, tough. A good clean second hand one, with a good second hand scope such as a fixed power schmidt and bender, would be a very effective combination.

Last edited:
Someone recently posted a photo of the new CZ Ebony rifle that they had just bought and a rather nice looking rifle it was as well an it was not expensive either.

if you are not fussed about new, what about a Parker Hale or a BSA in 243. Lots about for silly money. I managed to pick up a BSA Stuzen with Zeiss fixed scope plus RFD fees for less than £300

Good choice on calibers, will cover all UK needs.
Got a plastic 452 for general use and a howa 308 for big, longer range use.
Find the howa a bit heavy for lugging around on a walk about.
Tip, try and get the same screw cut for both, then the 243 mod can do double duty

Tip, try and get the same screw cut for both, then the 243 mod can do double duty
Really? I have read some stuff on here in my time but that is right up there. I would recommend getting a dedicated .17 moderator as it will have the advantage of actually moderating your rifle! It will also weigh far less. A 243 moderator will look and feel ridiculous on an HMR.

Morning

Do you need to buy new for first rifles? There is always secondhand kit coming up on here, Guntrader and Gunstar.

This has all the advice you need!
plus one from me for the Tikka!

Thanks everyone! There's no need to rush at all, just thought that if you can start off with new then you know exactly what you're letting yourself into (or you'd hope so at least...)

On the subject of .243s, how easily are they shot out? As in how many of the secondhand ones kicking around are a load of rubbish?

Thanks

Better tip: DO NOT FOLLOW JOE SOAPY'S ADVICE.
When the 243 ignites the unburnt powder left in the moderator after it's been used on the rimfire, the resulting explosion may destroy your moderator, rifle, hands, eyes...

On the subject of .243s, how easily are they shot out? As in how many of the secondhand ones kicking around are a load of rubbish?

Thanks

lots of variables but the barrel should be good for at least 2000 rounds I would have thought. just as important is the barrel condition, i.e. crown damage, pitting, over cleaning. If the rifle has just been used for zeroing and stalking, that a fair number of shots over some years.

If at all possible try and shoot before you buy, or have a gunsmith friend check it out, and try and find out the history of the rifle (en ex estate rifle may have had more use for example). I have to say that the vast majority of people selling gear in the stalking business are straightforward and honest, its not like buying a car, you'll normally get a straight answer to a straight question.
If the worst comes to the worst and the barrel does need replacing you'd be looking at anywhere north of £750.

Stick to the known named brands and you won't go far wrong. TBH with your budget, if you're patient you'll get a good rifle and just as important, some decent glass.

I'd go for a 2nd hand tikka T3 or even a sako 75 that look in decent condition - you'll get a great rifle for £600tikka-£900ish sako? Then all you need is a 6x42 scope (leupold, meopta, S&B etc etc for £150-£300. .22's aren't expensive - a cz would do you well. All easily achievable with your budget.

You might want to look at the new bergara's for a new option - seem to be good according to reports? There are so many good brands of new rifles and scopes within your budget.

Thanks everyone! There's no need to rush at all, just thought that if you can start off with new then you know exactly what you're letting yourself into (or you'd hope so at least...)

Thanks

How you treat the rifle and barrel will have the biggest effect on this. Shooting lots of rounds rapidly and gettign the barrel very hot will reduce it's useful accurate life. Same goes for poor cleaning and leaving the moderator screwed onto the end of the muzzle as it seems this rots the muzzle end of the bore dreadfully. Several posts on here with the horror stories of that.

When the 243 ignites the unburnt powder left in the moderator after it's been used on the rimfire, the resulting explosion may destroy your moderator, rifle, hands, eyes...

How interesting, i have just dismantled my mod from the HMR, there was a bit of black stuff i presume carbon there. could not get it to burn though. Where does this unburnt powder you speak of come from.My 16 inch barrel appears to get complete powder burn. Nitro powder does not detonate, so unless the mod is blocked there can be no pressure build up. Have you got children in your house playing tricks on you? or perhaps had a patch remain in the mod>
Whatever, it's very unlikely to be a build up of powder in a moderator that get a modicum of looking after

if you are not fussed about new, what about a Parker Hale or a BSA in 243. Lots about for silly money. I managed to pick up a BSA Stuzen with Zeiss fixed scope plus RFD fees for less than £300

+ 1
My P-H .243 cost £150 off this site. I think it's a great rifle, and regardless of how worn it may be it'll always shoot better than me. And it's got character, enhanced by all the dings and scrapes accumulated over it's working life.
Leaves you a fair bit over for a decent scope.

Plus1 on this. I had a ruger 22 magnum. I wanted as much sound moderation on it as possible. With my local gunshops advice I ended up with a t8. I shot hundreds of rounds through it with no issue whatsoever. I then sold the rifle back to the shop. About a month later I visited the shop. Then owner produced the moderator from under the counter. It had peeled back like a bean tin!. There was a hole in the side of it that you could put 2 or 3 fingers into. I was in total shock and asked was the person injured. The owner of the shop told me he had fired about half a box of ammo without incident. Then a very Big Bang. He rung up the manufacturer who told him the suppressor was totally unsuitable for rimfire use, stating exactly what you said. Scary stuff.

Back