Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting a truck hard top canopy

Painting a truck hard top canopy

I'm after a little advice if possible. I'd like to change the colour of the hard top on my truck. It's a fibre glass canopy so I assume it's a gel coat finish. Is it possible to treat and spray to get a half decent finish? any advice or tips welcome .

cheers

yes ,Gel coat aint cheap but if you do the sanding you can save a bit .I used to gel coat glove boxes at work and as long as you take your time its a great finish.
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed

Just flat it, get a fibre glass primer and top coat of colour and paint it. Job done

Just as another option, have you considered having it wrapped? It's no where near the cost it used to be
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

You really need a good high gloss surface for a wrap to stick to.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy milnes View Post
    Just as another option, have you considered having it wrapped? It's no where near the cost it used to be
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Never heard of this ? How's it done

Quote Originally Posted by rodp View Post
    Just flat it, get a fibre glass primer and top coat of colour and paint it. Job done
    thanks for all the replies gents...

Rod, does flat it mean sand it? Also, can I use standard automotive spray paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    thanks for all the replies gents...

Rod, does flat it mean sand it? Also, can I use standard automotive spray paint?

Yes, flat it (sand it) then use a primer for fibreglass under normal automotive paint. If you google for body shop / paint suppliers (where the body shops get their paint from) and tell them what you're doing they'll give you the right stuff.

it is a very straightforward job for any bodyshop. if you call into one they would do it cheaper than you would considering time, material and finish

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy22 View Post
    it is a very straightforward job for any bodyshop. if you call into one they would do it cheaper than you would considering time, material and finish

That's assuming they don't just use what's "under the table" instead of the correct primer, and it all drops off in six months