Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Torches

Head Torches

Well I've broken my 3.99 with 5 gallons of petrol head torch. No surprise there. It lasted about a year, so I can't complain. But I really miss it for those times when you need light and both hands available.

I've got a couple of good torches, so I don't need the ability to see hundreds of yards, just a good, reliable head torch that is reliable and robust. I don't really want to pay a small fortune either, although I'll stretch to more than 3.99 this time. Any suggestions?

Alpkit do a range, I have 2 Gammas and a smaller one designed for runners which is good too.

I don't have one but a friend is a big fan of the Alpkit head torches and they seem well priced compared to other offerings:

Alpkit - Trail running, walking, climbing and camping torches

I have always liked Fenix torches, though again don't have one of their head torches, but they have a huge range of head torches should Alpkit not have anything to suit you:

Fenix LED Head Torches | Fenixtorch.co.uk
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Hiya

Alpkit seconded again here - a bit more than your suggested spend but have good reviews.

L

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    I don't have one but a friend is a big fan of the Alpkit head torches and they seem well priced compared to other offerings:

Alpkit - Trail running, walking, climbing and camping torches

I have always liked Fenix torches, though again don't have one of their head torches, but they have a huge range of head torches should Alpkit not have anything to suit you:

Fenix LED Head Torches | Fenixtorch.co.uk
    I have the Fenix HL-55, which is an awesome piece of kit though overpowered for most needs.

I also have a Coleman CHT15, which gets pretty much excellent reviews from everyone. Certainly I have no complaints. You can get it for 15 at GoOutdoors: Coleman CHT 15 Ultra Bright Headlamp | GO Outdoors

Is the Fenix better - yes. Is it more than three times better - possibly, but only if you appreciate good engineering and already have some decent 18650 batteries and a charger.
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 24-01-2016 at 19:20.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I have been using Led lenser head torches since I saw a friend's one ten or twelve years ago...prior to that eyeopener I had been happy with Petzl.

Led Lenser used to have a quibble free replacement lifetime warranty but I see that has come down to four years now.

I always assumed that like Swarovski you paid treble up front for the excellent after sales customer support. They have honoured the warranty on mine. Which survived daily use in the forge with all the grinding dust and clag about, let alone getting wet outdoors and oiled under vehicles for about three years then the switch electronics went...replaced by return of post.

Alan

Thanks guys, some for me to look at there.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alantoo View Post
    I have been using Led lenser head torches since I saw a friend's one ten or twelve years ago...prior to that eyeopener I had been happy with Petzl.

Led Lenser used to have a quibble free replacement lifetime warranty but I see that has come down to four years now.

I always assumed that like Swarovski you paid treble up front for the excellent after sales customer support. They have honoured the warranty on mine. Which survived daily use in the forge with all the grinding dust and clag about, let alone getting wet outdoors and oiled under vehicles for about three years then the switch electronics went...replaced by return of post.

Alan
    The switch that increases the power on my LED Lenser head torch broke. Never thought of sending it back
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

SD Regular
    Petzl Tikka works very well for me. Batteries last very well and I have 3 white light settings, the brightest of which you could cycle by - and it has red too - great for not blowing night vision/spooking things when you need a little light.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........