Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boots - Altberg stark extreme or Miendl Dovre

Boots - Altberg stark extreme or Miendl Dovre

Looking to get a pair of either altbergs or miendl's to replace my current leaking ones. The altbergs looks good and was wondering if anyone has any experience of them and how they compare to the meindl's which always seem popular?
    Any experience of the altbergs would be welcomed - good and bad.

I have both, the Meindl has better ankle support, but feels a little more clumpy. The Altberg is by nature of the coating very resilient, requires far less care in terms of waxing, and has a better tread patterned sole. The Altberg is available in an extra wide fitting also. Size for size the Altberg is a bit tighter than the Meindl, possibly narrower, but you'd really need to try them on, not so easy with the Altberg unless you live near their place or a stockist.

Altberg make great boots, but then so do Miendl. However, having recently retired my Miendls which needed resoling I ended up buying a pair of HanWag Tatra Top GTX. For me they were the better boot. I weighed up all the options, including the Altbergs which were probably a close second.

The Altberg Stark is a pretty modern boot. The rubber coating to the leather does a great job of protecting them, but it does limit breathability. If you're a warm person, be mindful that the correct sock choice will be crucial. Other than that to me they felt comfortable and very sturdy. That is however where my experience with them ends.

The Tatra Top, although perhaps not as rugged looking as the Stark Extreme quickly became my boot of choice. The lacing system, choice of materials and the fantastic sole, combined with their relatively light weight, won them over for me. I appreciate that everyone's feet are different, but the HanWags felt very comfortable right from them first time I put them on. The sole is supportive, but not too stiff and right the way up the boot the leather seems to be cut in such a way to provide excellent flexibility, whilst maintaining support where it's needed. You really don't feel like you're in a high boot.

I know this doesn't answer your question, so I apologise if it's of no use to you, but having just been looking at the same boots as you I thought my recent experience might offer some additional help. With such well regarded boots I don't think you'll go too far wrong with any of them. Although I really liked my Meindl boots, which did give me years of service, the disintegrating sole issue led me to want to try something different this time.

Quote Originally Posted by A J View Post
    Altberg make great boots, but then so do Miendl. However, having recently retired my Miendls which needed resoling I ended up buying a pair of HanWag Tatra Top GTX. For me they were the better boot. I weighed up all the options, including the Altbergs which were probably a close second.

The Altberg Stark is a pretty modern boot. The rubber coating to the leather does a great job of protecting them, but it does limit breathability. If you're a warm person, be mindful that the correct sock choice will be crucial. Other than that to me they felt comfortable and very sturdy. That is however where my experience with them ends.

The Tatra Top, although perhaps not as rugged looking as the Stark Extreme quickly became my boot of choice. The lacing system, choice of materials and the fantastic sole, combined with their relatively light weight, won them over for me. I appreciate that everyone's feet are different, but the HanWags felt very comfortable right from them first time I put them on. The sole is supportive, but not too stiff and right the way up the boot the leather seems to be cut in such a way to provide excellent flexibility, whilst maintaining support where it's needed. You really don't feel like you're in a high boot.

I know this doesn't answer your question, so I apologise if it's of no use to you, but having just been looking at the same boots as you I thought my recent experience might offer some additional help. With such well regarded boots I don't think you'll go too far wrong with any of them. Although I really liked my Meindl boots, which did give me years of service, the disintegrating sole issue led me to want to try something different this time.

I also have the Hanwag Tatra Tops. . . they are eighteen months old and have survived working on Rannoch Moor, a trip to Rum, stalking, hill walking and daily dog walking . . . .best boot I've ever had my foot in and still plenty of life in them. After spending the wrong side of 400 on other well known brands and suffering leakage after leakage, broken eyelets and tardy after sales.. ..it's Hanwag for me from now on.

Thanks for the info, it's always handy hearing what people who have them think. I will add hanwag to the list, it sounds like the miendl quality is going down a bit too

I have meindl dovre and the Altberg Gamekeeper model (but not the stark model some can't comment on that side of things) but I would say, as above, that the Altbergs are narrower, and with slightly less ankle support. I have weak ankles, and can almost "turn" them in the Altbergs, but never have in the Meindl. As Maxwal says, the Meindl feel clumpier and to me, sturdier. I think, with the altberg particularly, it would be important to try them on, as they use different lasts for different boots, so my Gamekeeper boots and Norway boots are different sizes.

Altberg Keepers Boots! Not met another keeper who wears them!! They were jokingly known as "Altberg Wet Boots"!! Leaked like sieves!! Lundhags or Hanwag all the way.

im a keeper and never had the stark extremes leak yet

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    im a keeper and never had the stark extremes leak yet
    Thats one then!!

Bought gamekeepers as stark were out of stock (12 week wait) 2 no pair and like slippers for comfort from day 1 no issues on hills and wet in argyll