Thread: What calibre?

What calibre?

Hi all I've been stalking now for 10 years and have shot many fallow and muntjac with my 243 but might be going on stalking holiday for a week in Scotland where there is high chance of a red will my 243 be man enough?

For one week, I'd have thought there's little point trying for a variation and then having to buy a new rifle - unless this is an excuse to put something new and shiny in the cabinet... :-)

Is there an estate rifle in a bigger calibre? Just make sure you can get some rounds downrange with it if there is, if not, then shot placement will be key so take the time to play at range with your existing rig before you head up there.

There are loads of folks on here that take reds with .243
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Stags or hinds?
    speak to the estate/stalker where you plan to go in Scotland and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by firthy View Post
    hi all i've been stalking now for 10 years and have shot many fallow and muntjac with my 243 but might be going on stalking holiday for a week in scotland where there is high chance of a red will my 243 be man enough?
    yes

Choose a good 243 100gn load with a tough bullet - Norma, Geko are good RWS a bit soft. Wait till it stands broadside. Just over 1/3 way up behind the shoulder and squeeze the trigger and no red deer will no the difference. 1,000s of reds fall to a 243 ever year.

People have issues with a 243 when a) they put the bullet in the wrong place, b) try to shoot at too long a distance to ensure accurate bullet placement and c) using a bullet more designed for varmints.

Read this thread as it has now turned red, indicating lots of comments. Gaz
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...light=243+reds

Thanks for the replys it's private land and no estate rifle. I currently use 100 grain federal will they be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Firthy View Post
    Thanks for the replys it's private land and no estate rifle. I currently use 100 grain federal will they be ok?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Firthy View Post
    Perfect.
    Tusker