Blaser calibre combo

Boarboy

My certificate is up for renewal in a few months, and I thought I'd take the opportunity to have a calibre re think, if necessary. So.. Currently I have a blaser R93, which I've had for over 10 years now, with .243, 6.5 x 55 and .308 barrels. I want to upgrade to the R8 as I like the idea of the removable magazine. Question is what calibre combo? Do I stick with what I've got.. So , mainly .243 and .308, same bolt head insert e.t.c for both, or think of something else.? I want to keep things simple. At this stage I'm thinking of dropping the 6.5 x 55, although a lovely calibre, but my .308 will do what this does and more. And like I said would prefer to keep it all very simple.?

my main activities, are fox and deer uk, reds in Scotland, and 2 driven boar trips abroad per year.

Thanks.!

.243 and .308 covers every opportunity.
.243 any bullet for Deer and Fox.
.308 150gn bullet for anything from Fox to large reds, Sika etc.
.308 180 bullet for anything up to Driven Boar.
I used a .308 with 150 gr for driven Boar for several years too but the 180 gives me a bit more confidence.
Those are my personal recommendations but stand by for plenty of others.
As an after thought, you could go for a 30-06 and use any bullet up to 150 gr for anything and 180 or 220 for driven Boar.
Go for it Dan, you know you want to. :D

Last edited:
I think EMcC's you've got a good set up there... flexibility to whatever comes out.

I went slightly different with my R8 with .22-250 and .308. I have the .22-250 on my cert but haven't purchased the barrel yet as I'm saving up to put a good quality night vision set up on it.

I'd choose 6.5x55 and 3006 they use the same bolt head I believe and it'll cover everything

yes, that's one thing I thought about. I like the 6.5 x 55 a lot, that would do me for fox and deer in the UK and the .30-06 for boar/plains game e.t.c. Im guessing i'm allowed to shoot fox with my 6.5 x 55 including lamping, or in the future? At the moment i've set up my .243 barrel for that.
I'd choose 6.5x55 and 3006 they use the same bolt head I believe and it'll cover everything

I would go for a classic 6.5x55 and 9.3x62 combo....covers everything. Later you could add a 22-250 or 243 barrel !

yes, that's one thing I thought about. I like the 6.5 x 55 a lot, that would do me for fox and deer in the UK and the .30-06 for boar/plains game e.t.c. Im guessing i'm allowed to shoot fox with my 6.5 x 55 including lamping, or in the future? At the moment i've set up my .243 barrel for that.

you can always sue 6.5x47 L or 6.5Creedmoor or .260" Remington if you want to throw a 6.5mm Bullet pretty much same as the 6.5x55 and all fit the same bolt head and magazine as .243" .308"

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far. A friend uses a 25-06, nice deer and fox dual purpose round? But it appears they don't do this on the R8 calibre list, unless it can be done special order? 25-06 and .30-06 might be a nice pairing?

Seems all good advice but I'd recommend .308 and .243 for simplicity and ammunition / reloading components availability.

I went for 6.5x55 and .300WinMag - it does involve another bolt head/mag insert but very happy with my choice...

Ive gone for 243 and 308 for my r8 use the 243 for fox and deer and the 308 set up for the boar cant go wrong and no messing around with super rare calibers just simple do the job

I have just started down the road of the blaser and I have gone with a .243 and 39-06, really pleased I am too, lovely pairing and covers all bases. Did make my firearms officer scratch his head though!!

I have just started down the road of the blaser and I have gone with a .243 and 39-06, really pleased I am too, lovely pairing and covers all bases. Did make my firearms officer scratch his head though!!

Just out of interest why did he scratch his head? Seems like an obvious pairing to me? If you did mean 30-06 that is!

Indeed my big thumbs got in the way!! :oops: My local chap was a bit unsure as to one action but two barrels, but he sorted that out after a phone call! It got a bit more interesting when I asked for a 375!! We shall see!!

I have .22-250, .243, .308 and 7mm Rem Mag in my R93 and I like all of them... If I were you, and if you wanted to keep it all on one bolt face, I'd go with .22-250, 6.5x55 and 9.3x62. I think having a 9.3 would be worth while if you shoot a lot of boar, and you can use it on woodland reds or in Africa. If you fancy a departure from the Swede then take your pick of any mid capacity cartridge, a 6.5x65 would be interesting if you hand load..

Back