Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A solution to Focus problems with Pulsar & Yukon NV Scopes used in daylight/twilight.

A solution to Focus problems with Pulsar & Yukon NV Scopes used in daylight/twilight.

Focus to target is fine when used with IR illumination , but I’ve had problems being unable to properly focus these 870 and Photon NV units in daylight/twilight time.
    I then remembered a little photography tip that using a smaller aperture hole will give a greater depth of field, which should then give me better focus in daylight? To test this out I constructed a circular piece of cardboard with a centre 5mm hole and put this in front of both the 870 and Photon scopes objective lens. It works!
    I’ve now drilled 5mm holes in both units objective lens covers, and use a small plastic/rubber plug to fill hole when not in use.
    Thought this may be of interest to some users of NV scopes?
    Regards
    Royr
    Last edited by royr; 25-01-2016 at 11:07.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by royr View Post
    Focus to target is fine when used with IR illumination , but I’ve had problems being unable to properly focus these 870 and Photon NV units in daylight/twilight time.
    I then remembered a little photography tip that using a smaller aperture hole will give a greater depth of field, which should then give me better focus in daylight? To test this out I constructed a circular piece of cardboard with a centre 5mm hole and put this in front of both the 870 and Photon scopes objective lens. It works!

I’ve now drilled 5mm holes in both units objective lens covers, and use a small plastic/rubber plug to fill hole when not in use.
    Thought this may be of interest to some users of NV scopes?
    Regards
    Royr
    Yep sharper , clearer images when used in the dark , a pain if you are trying to zero at 100yds in daylight.

Hello Tikkafan,
    That's interesting!
    If I'm reading your post correctly, you are suggesting I should also get better depth of field & focus in the dark as well when viewing through the 5mm hole?
    Would viewing through the smaller aperture then require additional brighter IR illumination? OR can normal viewing of screen be achieved just by increasing the Scopes brightness control?
    Regards
    Royr

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    A solution to Focus problems with Pulsar & Yukon NV Scopes used in daylight/twilight.

the best solution is

buy a Drone.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by royr View Post
    Hello Tikkafan,
    That's interesting!
    If I'm reading your post correctly, you are suggesting I should also get better depth of field & focus in the dark as well when viewing through the 5mm hole?
    Would viewing through the smaller aperture then require additional brighter IR illumination? OR can normal viewing of screen be achieved just by increasing the Scopes brightness control?
    Regards
    Royr
    No , just saying imagery is poor in daylight but sharp in the dark, additional IR illumination is essential with any digital / G1 night vision.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post

the best solution is

buy a Drone.
    Have to disagree , the NV750A is better plus you don't have to mount it in a unworkable position .

I don't think this is news to the people who have been using digi nv for a while.

Even the Drone will benefit hugely from reducing the aperture in daytime, I punched a 5mm ish hole in my lens cover a few years ago and just cover it with bit of tape when not using it.

My Drone mounts perfectly and is miles better than an N750, I know because I have both and the N750 has been permanently relegated to rabbiting duties on the HMR while the Drone has pride of place on my main foxing rifle. I am not saying that the Pulsar is not a good scope it still is but it is about time that they bought out a new more user friendly scope chassis, times have moved on since the N550 was introduced, Pulsar have not.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
    I don't think this is news to the people who have been using digi nv for a while.

Even the Drone will benefit hugely from reducing the aperture in daytime, I punched a 5mm ish hole in my lens cover a few years ago and just cover it with bit of tape when not using it.

My Drone mounts perfectly and is miles better than an N750, I know because I have both and the N750 has been permanently relegated to rabbiting duties on the HMR while the Drone has pride of place on my main foxing rifle. I am not saying that the Pulsar is not a good scope it still is but it is about time that they bought out a new more user friendly scope chassis, times have moved on since the N550 was introduced, Pulsar have not.

+100

Have you tried pushing out the centre of the photon lens cap to leave the 20mm hole?

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by TikkaFan View Post
    Have to disagree , the NV750A is better plus you don't have to mount it in a unworkable position .
    I have no issues with my drone mounted on my tikka 595, custom made mount that fits after you remove that black rifle crud of the bottom of the drone, best eye position as yet and no strain on my neck either. a great bit of kit.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube