Buccleuch estates

llwynog

Hi
I'll be working on this estate in a few weeks time, for a couple of days. Does anyone have a contact for some stalking while I'm there?

I stalk & shoot with one of the rangers regularly & Buccleuch Estates are clients of mine but to the best of my knowledge all the shooting is handled as a commercial enterprise with the Duke having to buy days on his own ground.

Which estate will you be visiting?

If you're at Queensbury/Drumlanrig you could do a lot worse than get in touch with SolwayStalker. He has ground with red, roe and boar that is only a short drive away.

Also be sure to try fishing the three beats on the Nith, or the Association water just below. Rab is (or at least was) the ghillie :thumb:

You're right, he's a massive land owner. I'm visiting the farm manager Sion at Bowhill near Selkirk. It'd be a shame not to take my rifle...

You'll definitely be able to get some stalking around there, perhaps even on the Bowhill estate. It's probably best just to call the estate office if you want to stalk on Buccleuch land, otherwise there are any number of people who could take you out around there.

Old Chookie was once called in by his accountants in Edinburgh to see if some cost cutting could help with the annual accounts. He asked where savings could be made and the cute suits asked him if he really needed FIVE full time pastry chefs.... His reply was in a stern voice... " a man needs a biscuit"!!

speak to rab the head keeper(drum) although he will be very busy this next week with the last bird days

Last edited:
Stalking is run as a commercial enterprise and there is a contact on their web site,but Sion is a decent lad, speak to him nicely and he might be able to sort you out.

The last time I was at Bowhill I arrived in wellies as I'd walked my dogs on the way there. Once inside I changed out of my very mucky boots into normal shoes and carried on with my work. On leaving I was delighted to notice that my boots were now absolutely spotless having had attention lavished on them in the mistaken impression that they were the Dukes. Much mirth ensued.

Must admit i thought they never had stalking clients on any of his scottish estates (well the 3 i know) never heard of them letting days or taking staklers out anyway.
In fact failry sure on Langholm and Drumlanrig and i thouht bowhill too u can't buy days, but possibly things have changed?

Aye it's leased out, most of there game shooting is leased out now too apart from some of Drumlanrig.

Used to be a lad on each estate that done the stalking as well as other estate jobs, think still inhouse on langholm (last i heard a few months ago) and possibly bowhill.

Possibly the estate office could put u intouch with the 3rd party that may lease the stalking, i know stuart has a big chunk if not all the game shooting on bowhill now, no idea if he has the stalking too

As has been said think Jamross is in the area. i'm sure i've seen others advetise on here from that area too

U could also phone richard at Game and Country in Selkirk, the local gunshop, i'm sure he would have contacts or numbers u could try for other local stalkers. Think most of the locals use him, got some quite decent stuff in too and decent prices

Back