Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to reloading - how many possible configurations???

New to reloading - how many possible configurations???

Guys,

So i've got my first 222CF which i plan to reload. However, in reading there are so many different variables in finding a suitable home load that i don't know where to start.

So far the basic (simple) things i know i can vary are:
    Bullet seating depth (overall length)
    Powder amount
    Power type
    Bullet type

However this leads to a huge problem, where do i begin?

Lets just say i have 5 different bullet types, 5 seating depths, 5 different loads of powder and 5 powered types, this leaves me with an incredible number of configurations for me to start with. 5x5x5x5 = 625 different combinations, that doesn't take into consideration that i might wish for 5 or 10 of each!

So what do i begin with????

Do i just purchase 1 type of powder and 1 type of bullet head (hornady v-max for example) and then try 5 different powder measurements and 5 different seating depths?

I'm not looking for 0.25moa groups, as i can't shoot this even if the rifle and ammo can! I'm just looking to save money on ammo and at the same time have relatively trustworthy and reliable ammo that's safe and around 1moa if i do my part.

Thanks in advance guys, and sorry for the ambiguity, but for a newbie with so many different combinations i don't know where to begin!

Have a look at the reloaders nest website .222 Remington @ www.reloadersnest.com
    That will give you info on some combinations of powder and bullet weight anf how they perfrom
    if you're not looking to shoot 1/4 MOA groups, then forget about seating depth, just make sure the COL is correct.

Cheers

Bruce

If you havent yet, it might be worth buying a reloading manual, and having a read through,

Andrew

Take small steps at a time. Read up on how to replicate your favourite factory round. Then trial one powder and one bullet to replicate your favourite factory round. Keep a reloading book to record what you do and don't rush.

Good luck.

JCS

I bought a Lee Anniversary kit and it came with the Lyman manual. I simply found a powder that was listed for both 243 and 308 and started there, bought Remmington primers as that's what the closest shop had in stock. Both loads were made to standard length and I started 10% below max and went up in .5 grain increments and settled on the most accurate one for each calibre. Both loads shoot around the .6moa mark which is good enough for hunting and a bit of target work.

Personally I started with picking one bullet,
    have a look at the bullet makers manual/online data to find their recommended powder. Noslers' site for example highlight a "most accurate load".
    Buy that recommended powder if you can (some are difficult to source especially at the moment) and and cross reference that powder makers load data with the bullet makers.
    You should now have a range from min to max to work with. load up 4/5 rounds going up a grain at a time from the minimum to the max (don't go over or under these!)
    To start with Id ignore seating depth (go with recommended OAL for that bullet if you can find it or SAAMI) unless you are having problems or really want to.
    For me that translated into having 5 rounds each of 4 different powder weights, nicely fitting into a 20 round box clearly labelled with bullet weight/powder type/charge weight.
    see which powder weight gives you the best group.
    if you want you can fine tune from there, doing another 4 rounds going up a quarter of a grain each time within your best powder weight range.
    After that you should have the best powder charge for your rifle, if you can't get decent groups, look at changing powders first to another recommended one for that bullet, and if that doesn't work try another bullet make/weight.
    try and make just one change at a time rather than changing bullet and powders, and you should get to a happy place, but always play safe and triple check everything!
    enjoy and load safely!

Quote Originally Posted by nun_hunter View Post
    I bought a Lee Anniversary kit and it came with the Lyman manual. I simply found a powder that was listed for both 243 and 308 and started there, bought Remmington primers as that's what the closest shop had in stock. Both loads were made to standard length and I started 10% below max and went up in .5 grain increments and settled on the most accurate one for each calibre. Both loads shoot around the .6moa mark which is good enough for hunting and a bit of target work.
    This is the method I'd recommend as well!
    choose one bullet type suitable for your target species
    choose one suitable powder to go with the bullet/chambering combination from your manual
    load to book length
    load from book start to book max in 1/2 gn increments (groups of 5 or whatever you prefer)
    shoot these loads to find the one which shoots best.

Importantly, go to your nearest gun shops and ask what they stock and what they regularly have in. One place near me doesn't deal with Edgar Brothers so can't get anything Hornady for example and another won't stock Sierra bullets as standard so have to be ordered specifically. Nothing worse that finding a great load only to find that you now can't source the components easily or cheaply!

Quote Originally Posted by mealiejimmy View Post
    Have a look at the reloaders nest website .222 Remington @ www.reloadersnest.com
    That will give you info on some combinations of powder and bullet weight anf how they perfrom
    if you're not looking to shoot 1/4 MOA groups, then forget about seating depth, just make sure the COL is correct.

Cheers

Bruce
    Thanks for this website, it'll give me a starting point. I've borrowed a couple of books off a friend so i can read up on the starting points as well.