Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roost shooting crows

Roost shooting crows

I've been talking to a couple of local farmers about reviving a village crow shoot that used to take place here but has fizzled out over the years. I've taken part in large organised crow shoots before so I'm familiar with the concept but I must admit that I don't really know much more an I observed at the time. We've a few woods dotted about so I suspect it'll be a case of a few guns in each under obvious roosts (bird crap on the floor) and hopefully keep the birds moving between the woods. If anyone has any suggestions or advice to help things go smoothly I'd appreciate it. If I recall the last shoot I took part in some ten years back started just after the clocks went forward in spring and went on once a week for a few weeks.... Does this sound right?

I'm pretty new to the village so I'd like to end up as productively as possible!!

Thanks in advance

Still happens to a degree down Settle way mate, guns in various woods to help keep them on the move. Some of the keepers used to get together and organise things but, as you say, it doesn't happen as much as it did. Same with fox drives.

one or two places around here roost shoot pidgeons after the keeper has caught up his laying stock, just do your homework, sit up and see where and when the birds are flying and place people acordingly i must admidt it can be some very good sport

Crows or Rooks?

Quote Originally Posted by JTO View Post
    Crows or Rooks?
    Rooks Isuspect,although Idoubt he is prejudist

SD Regular
    If it is rooks then timing is critical. You want to be at that few days when they are old enough to quit the nest yet not old enough to fly. So they just sit about on the branches. Thus the name "branchers". This is usually sometime in March.

Then you just go along and shoot them with, traditionally, a rifle. Gather the shot birds and take out the breastmeat and bake in a pie with some chunks of back bacon. Lovely! I've not shot rooks for twenty five years but it is good sport and, more to the point, excellent eating.

With crows they tend to be solitary. So go around now in February, before the trees come into leaf and mark the nests. Then wait until March and shoot the birds on the nests with the eggs under them. Just re-visit the marked trees. Any open choke gun (if you have that option) with the maximum load of #7 shot that it will take is good to go! Good sport but terrible eating!

Or just sit under the tree and eventually you will get BOTH birds...if you are patient.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    If it is rooks then timing is critical. You want to be at that few days when they are old enough to quit the nest yet not old enough to fly. So they just sit about on the branches. Thus the name "branchers". This is usually sometime in March.
    About May 10th around here, I think.

I think Legolas is referring to some of the organised roost shoots which occur in this area at times in the early part of the year, as opposed to shooting "branchers" or nesting birds. Must confess I have never got round to eating young rooks, it just doesn't appeal to me, although I trust you when you say they are delicious.

Thanks for all the input chaps. Tuck1 you are correct, organised crow shoot covering the various woods they roost in to keep them moving from wood to wood. I used to take part in one at a local estate (Coniston - tuck1) which would account for hundreds of birds a night. ive never organised one before so I was keen to hear from anyone who has.

enfield spares, I have done a but of branches shooting in the past but not brought myself to eat them, maybe I'll pull my finger out and give them a try if I do some rook shooting this year.

SD Regular
    Yes, do eat them, just the breasts, they are delicious like finest fillet steak.

May, yes, not March. Oops! March in the brain. My error.