Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: 30.06 200gn

  1. #1

    30.06 200gn

    Anyone shooting RWS 200gn? Usually use 150/168gn (deer) but have the opp for some boar - any thoughts / experience in the field much appreciated
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

    Ctrl-Alt FACT

  2. #2
    A 30-06 with almost any 180gr bullet will stop a boar in it's tracks. A chap with us shot a big boar with a 165gr Nosler partition in 308 running at full gallop, killed it out right, even after going through a 3" sapling.

  3. #3
    If you are just going to do this once now, and need some ammo, I recommend the Remington 180-gr Core Lokt RN. Federal also has an inexpensive line of180-gr RN ammo. Both have good bullets which hold together and expand well, and very accurate.

  4. #4
    Thanks chaps - I can get Rem Nosler 180g and also Hornady 180g SST's - both are 10+ cheaper per box so will give one of these a go
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

    Ctrl-Alt FACT

  5. #5
    I have been using Winchester 220 gn recently and have quite a few left as I didn't always get the good peg !!
    If you want to give them a try get in touch as I am sure I can spare a few at a decent price !!

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    If you are just going to do this once now, and need some ammo, I recommend the Remington 180-gr Core Lokt RN. Federal also has an inexpensive line of180-gr RN ammo. Both have good bullets which hold together and expand well, and very accurate.

    I have been disappointed with the performance of 180gr core-lokt on red deer (pushing 3000fps out of a 300wm butnot far off 30-06 MV)

    erratic on impact, bit messy on initial encounter with bone
    still have a load to go through so tests not conclusive

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I have been using Winchester 220 gn recently and have quite a few left as I didn't always get the good peg !!
    If you want to give them a try get in touch as I am sure I can spare a few at a decent price !!
    Will let you know - how did you get on with them? what were your fellow shooters using?
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

    Ctrl-Alt FACT

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    Will let you know - how did you get on with them? what were your fellow shooters using?
    Most of my fellow shooters were using either .308 with 180gr or 9.3 's with half a ton of lead !!
    I have used 180gr and 220gr in my 30-06 and on one occasion I joined a group of Croatian hunters and most were using 30-06 with PPU 180 gr soft points and did well with them too.
    Before I got the 30-06 I used a .308 for several years with 150 or 180gr and did just as well then.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Hereford View Post
    Anyone shooting RWS 200gn? Usually use 150/168gn (deer) but have the opp for some boar - any thoughts / experience in the field much appreciated
    No experience with boar, but use 180gr superformance with great accuracy and precision on one of my deer permissions. The 180gr's seem to like the 300-425ya particularly with great energy dissipation.

    If you are not reloading, I would be more concerned with quality bullets than getting masses over 180gr. Have a look at:
    (1) Federal ammo - they use my favorite bullets, Sierra Game Kings
    (2) S&B ammo - they use Nosler Partition bullets
    (3) HSM ammo - they use Berger bullets

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I have been disappointed with the performance of 180gr core-lokt on red deer (pushing 3000fps out of a 300wm butnot far off 30-06 MV)
    erratic on impact, bit messy on initial encounter with bone
    still have a load to go through so tests not conclusive
    The 180-gr Round Nose? Not my experience, in the .30-06 nor .308 Win. The last time I sectioned the RN and the PSP, the RN had a thicker jacket. Supposedly, the 180-gr SPT used to wear a heavier jacket, back in Ye Olde Days, and the RN is supposed to be the same as the one use by Jack and Eleanor O'Connor to kill grizzly bear, moose, elk, and big antelope in Africa. Standard '06 velocity is 2,700 FPS.

    If you are using the .300 WM for long range and wind resistance, try the 180-gr Hornady Interlock or the 180-gr Nosler BT ( heavier jacket now ), Accubond or Sierra GK.
    Last edited by Southern; 26-01-2016 at 00:14.

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* SAUER 202 ELEGANCE 25.06, .270 and 30.06
    By Yoda in forum Firearms
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 30-06-2015, 17:02
  2. *SOLD* Forster GO & Field Gauges 30/06 - 270 - 25/06 etc
    By cjm1066 in forum Firearms Components
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29-12-2014, 08:27
  3. Wanted Cardboard Ammo boxes for either .25-06, .270, .30-06 or 7x64
    By rarms in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 14:01
  4. For Sale BRASS 30-06 & 270 for swap 25-06
    By glyn in forum Reloading
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-11-2010, 00:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •