Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x47L

6.5x47L

Any thoughts on barrel lenght for a 6.5x47L stalking rifle?
    I'm going down the road of a custom build and I am thinking of the following specs..
    - DCR action
    -22" varmint fluted Match grade barrel
    - Manners T5A stock
    -DCR Trigger.

The accuracy of the 6.5x47L attracts me to it. Will it be ok for stalking in a 22" barrel? I also spend the odd day at the range so id like to be able to reach out to good distances with it too.
    I cannot reload in Ireland so i would be using Lapua Naturalis factory ammo.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or thoughts on this matter...

HAd mine made with a 16.5" barrel tho I reload with 140gn Sierra Game kings for approx 2500fps technically won't make 1000yrds before the transonic bit de stabilizes it but good for 700 ish and the new melt resistant tip Hornaday Bullets with very High BC may well make it possible for 1000yrds but it wasnt built for that

Not seen the Naturalis ammo or any Match ammo not that kind of gun shops nr me Factory spec says similar speed and weight but is in a 26" barrel and BC will be down
    6.5x47 Lapua - Hunting - Nammo Lapua
    acording to Strelok my SGK will have 1392ft lbs energy and a drop of 5.1" @200yrds from a 100yrd zero not to dissimilar on the drop but a fair bit more Energy than the Lapua factory

still plenty for stalking requirements
    Last edited by FGYT; 26-01-2016 at 13:07.

Had my 243win Tikka rebarrelled to 6.5x47L by Steve Kershaw. It has an 18in barrel and I shoot 120gn Nosler ballistic tip, home loaded, ammo. Sorry no idea about velocity or target shooting at extended ranges, but the red deer I've shot all fell over very quickly and I've found accuracy to be really good, when I do my bit.

If you can't reload and have to rely on factory ammo you'll be a bit restricted for hunting. The Naturalis ammo is also 140gn, a bit heftier than I really wanted to use in my rifle. I'm sure folk more knowledgeable than me will comment on the relative merits of the 120/130/140gn bullets for targets.

All the best,

hh

So I have decided not to go 6.5x47L, after a good chat with my rifle builder.
    I am now going .308 Win, in the follow specs:
    - Devon Custom Rifles Action and trigger.
    - kwip klip detachable magazine conversion
    - lothar walther match grade fluted barrel, remington varmint contour, M18x1 thread, and finished at 20" inches in length.
    - It'll be bedded into one of the following (1) Manners T5-A Elite or (2) Manners EH5-A {I was told that if those stocks are not in stock I could have a years wait!}
    - Cerakote of barrel and action in Burnt Bronze and stock in Dark Earth.

The 308 should do just fine in a 20" with 150 grain SST's from Hornady. Id love to have gone 6.5x47L but factory loaded hunting ammo is the big problem for me.

Ill post pics of the finished build. 👍

FGYT

What recipe are you using with the 140 GKs?

DT

Quote Originally Posted by tac29136 View Post
    So I have decided not to go 6.5x47L, after a good chat with my rifle builder.
    I am now going .308 Win, in the follow specs:
    - Devon Custom Rifles Action and trigger.
    - kwip klip detachable magazine conversion
    - lothar walther match grade fluted barrel, remington varmint contour, M18x1 thread, and finished at 20" inches in length.
    - It'll be bedded into one of the following (1) Manners T5-A Elite or (2) Manners EH5-A {I was told that if those stocks are not in stock I could have a years wait!}
    - Cerakote of barrel and action in Burnt Bronze and stock in Dark Earth.

The 308 should do just fine in a 20" with 150 grain SST's from Hornady. Id love to have gone 6.5x47L but factory loaded hunting ammo is the big problem for me.

Ill post pics of the finished build. 
    good call the 6.5x47 really is a caliber to load for to get the best out of it. Not that I've used the lapua factory ammo which I'm sure is very good. It's just impossible to source for me and components are readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsettaff View Post
    FGYT

What recipe are you using with the 140 GKs?

DT

Currently refining around 36grns of Reloader 15

Double post .....

I have a tub of that somewhere!

Many Thanks

DT

Good luck and mind post pics !
    Sounds like will be nice
    Pity about the 6.5 ammo / reloading situation but .308 been around long time & will be long time to come
    There may be better caliber ballistically but for barrel life , availability of ammo & cost be hard to beat
    All the best with new toy when it comes

Paul