Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting horn players

Hunting horn players

I was wondering if there are any Hunting horn players amongst the members on SD.
    There are a lot where I live here in Bavaria.

I do have one but I failed miserably on the practice side due to my work load, but at the end of Jan I retire so will get back into it.
    I was in the Coventry School of Music - corps of drums as a 12-15 y/o youngster playing a trumpet so I have a little idea of whats involved.
    I hope my lips are still up to it.
    I find it is being very respectful to what was just killed, although many might question this perspective.
    Martin

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    I'm not, though I have a couple of Furst Pless horns as well as a traditional British hunting horn. I played trumpet, euphonium and e-flat horn through school, so I can get a note out of them but not a tune
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I have a CD of all the normal tunes if anyone needs a copy to practice with.
    The comments are all in German though but not too hard to understand IMO.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    I find it is being very respectful to what was just killed, although many might question this perspective.
    I wouldn't question the respect being shown - although here is another perspective. I used to beat on a hill shoot in Wales and each year a team of guns from the Continent turned up with a horn player. The bag was always extremely varied and as each species had it's own call, we usually ended up standing about looking respectful for an inordinate amount of time. Not a problem with that, apart from the fact the shoot always laid on a full hot meal and pudding at the end of the day. If I'm honest, after a day of heaving up and down the hills, (where one beat was named after the bloke who had a heart attack there!) I was a tad more interested in tucking in to the scoff, rather than working out which tune was for the dead mallard as opposed to the dead teal, or the pigeon, or the crow, or the rabbit or the hare or the pheasant or the woodcock or the... you get my drift?

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarianbrit View Post
    I have a CD of all the normal tunes if anyone needs a copy to practice with.
    The comments are all in German though but not too hard to understand IMO.
    Martin
    There's also an App called Jagdhornsignale

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    I wouldn't question the respect being shown - although here is another perspective. I used to beat on a hill shoot in Wales and each year a team of guns from the Continent turned up with a horn player. The bag was always extremely varied and as each species had it's own call, we usually ended up standing about looking respectful for an inordinate amount of time. Not a problem with that, apart from the fact the shoot always laid on a full hot meal and pudding at the end of the day. If I'm honest, after a day of heaving up and down the hills, (where one beat was named after the bloke who had a heart attack there!) I was a tad more interested in tucking in to the scoff, rather than working out which tune was for the dead mallard as opposed to the dead teal, or the pigeon, or the crow, or the rabbit or the hare or the pheasant or the woodcock or the... you get my drift?
    Begs the question - why didn't you just tell them that only pheasant were to be shot and anything else would incur a fine

My form of respect is a clean kill and making sure that the meat doesn't go to waste.

FFS, this stalking lark is hard enough - I'm not learning how to learn the trumpet and lugging that about the hills as well. DSC1 and HHP1?
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Begs the question - why didn't you just tell them that only pheasant were to be shot and anything else would incur a fine
    Well above my pay grade to tell anybody, anything... Me and the dog were simply the hired help and frankly, the dog had more authority than me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Country View Post
    Well above my pay grade to tell anybody, anything... Me and the dog were simply the hired help and frankly, the dog had more authority than me...
    Well, that's cocker spaniels for you