Thread: Todays little adventure!

Todays little adventure!

Today i was over at my local butchers at the crack of dawn,

Having shot rabbits for them for a long time now, and them getting a thriving business from this, l finally asked for a favour to make some sausages!

I started off last night taking the two deer out of my chiller (Munty Doe and Roebuck) skinning and butchering them....All the meat was included except the haunches from the Roe (these were steaked!).

So l went over to the butchers this morning with 40lb of venison and 3lb of mixed frozen summer fruits (blueberries/blackberries/cranberries). We started off by preparing the meat in two batches with some additives (these help the fats breakdown - to create the elasticity effect i was told, it also gives a sausage flavour), then the 5lb of pork belly was added to the two batches, and again mixed in. This was then left to stand for 5-10mins (tea time!) - then both batches were run through the mincer. After this each batch had 2lb of rusk added/mixed and about 2pints of water added. Then mixed again, then finally put through the mincer again.

After both batches were put through the mincer, they were then loaded into the sausage making machine (their one is a piston driven ram jobby!)

After the first two hog 'skins' were run off (about 3-4m) l was then shown how to rack sausages (very difficult to explain - yet very easy to do once l got the hang of it) then l had a got on the next two skins filling. Once we had piped all the skins, racked all the sausages, we clean up a bit and unbeknown to me they had cooked some of the filling that was wasted on the fist batch, which we all shared over tea!

240 sausages later, l left with them hanging in their cold room for me to collect when they've matured in a couple of days!

Will the count still be 240? when you go to collect!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Well FB,

One of the lads was really impressed with the meat - as in condition after it has been in my chiller for a week, and asked if he could buy some venison off me (presumably to make some of his own!) Which l have agreed too, although the head butcher himself (owner) stops taking carcasses off me in March/April as the market dies off locally. Next thing is burgers, on their 600 an hour machine!

Must admit though - should of counted them properly!

T

We bought a sausage maker from Bushwear a few years ago, and have had a couple of bbq's were people make their own sausages; venison & belly pork, plus a range of ingredients like ground ginger, grated apple, back pudding, tabasco etc. They don't look too pretty, but the taste more than makes up for that.

I used to have a smallholding, raising Oxford Sandy & Black pigs as well as various poultry. I used to use to make sausages and salami's - never black pudding as you can't get your own blood back from the abbatoir these days (it's all collected together in one tank)... The local pub used to let me hang the salamis in their cellar! I also made hams and dry cure bacon... Ah, those were the days!

Pippa, sounds like your idea of a pub is like many of ours on here, shame the big firms have lost the plot!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Agreed - the landlords back then were great. They suggested we use the paddock attached to the pub to keep the pigs in, and we even put up a 40ft polytunnel on the ground. The pigs brought customers into the pub as they were an attraction, and we grew extra salad for the chef to use in the kitchen. The chef switched to using oil instead of lard for the sunday roast, and any leftover spuds & yorkshires went to the pigs - he put all his veg waste on our compost heaps and saved a fortune in commercial waste charges! We butchered the carcasses in the cellar, and gave them a ham at christmas as rent - they'd provided the beer for the Wiltshire cure!

It was a real shame when they moved on - the new landlords (who'd never run a pub in their lives) told us they'd got it in writing that it was 'vacant possession' and told us to vacate the paddock. So, having spent a lot of hard work and time clearing and digging the land, and putting up fences and the polytunnel, it all had to come out and we had to find somewhere else for the pigs & poultry... What was even more galling was that they didn't even use the land! Tey didn't last ong, but it was no comfort...

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Well FB,

One of the lads was really impressed with the meat - as in condition after it has been in my chiller for a week, and asked if he could buy some venison off me (presumably to make some of his own!) Which l have agreed too, although the head butcher himself (owner) stops taking carcasses off me in March/April as the market dies off locally. Next thing is burgers, on their 600 an hour machine!

Must admit though - should of counted them properly!

T
    I was talking about this market drop off with the guy doing the butchery demo at cirencester (Paul Hill). People seem to eat venison "seasonally" although this is a misnomer as there is always something in season. The same people eat strawberries in december or whatever other thing takes their fancy at tesco. Granted, a venison stew on a hot summer evening is probably not what you want but a couple of sausages off the barbie or a fillet cut into medallions with a salad is perfect.
    Re the sausages they sound v good, the chef at cirencester had some made up with apricots that were excellent also he replaced the rusk for ready break which seemed to work.

Well gents (and Ladies reading!)

The missus went across to the butchers today to collect the sausages, all were present and correct!

We borrowed my mates food bag sealer and she bagged 36 bags of 6 sausages for the freezer and we've taken a dozen to to my fathers, and a dozen to the inlaws! Its quite surprising how they have swelled (very important the butchers told me) as it has shown that that the additives have taken hold, and that the water in the skins has been soaked up by the rusk. Can't wait to try some!

T

I'll take a dozen!!Address is---!!,nice one,you cant beat your own sausages from your own venison.They are good bartering tools aswell.