Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Muntie advice please

Muntie advice please

Hi all, I'm about to start tackling Munties on a new permission and have never stalked them before, but I'm quite experienced on Fallow and Roe.
    The ground in question consists of small fields with hedges, good patches of bracken and gorse and borders a large block of forestry. (backstops will not be a problem)
    I will be using my 308 and my home loads of 150grn sierra game kings with which I can shoot 1 inch groups at 100yds no problem and will limit myself to that sort of range.
    I know these little critters can be quite tough (been gleaning as much knowledge as poss watching many videos on youtube etc).
    My questions are as follows;
    As I don't have permission on the forestry block I wont be taking any shots too close to it and some of the gorse patches are as thick as any I've ever seen, I'm worried about the possibility of runners as I don't have access to a deer dog for following-up. So where should I be placing my shots?
    Would you say a traditional heart/lung shot would suffice, or would you advise the shoulders or a neck shot? Which again I'm experienced with when required on Fallow and Roe.
    I'm not looking for replies from keyboard warriors (who will say I shouldn't be shooting without a tracking dog) but from experienced Muntie stalkers who can offer sound advice for this scenario.
    Many thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

ATB Lee

Hi Lee,
    Firstly, do you have muntjac in South Wales now or is this elsewhere? (just curious!)
    Clearly a .308 is more than enough gun for a muntjac and your bullet choice is not too fierce. However, even the best placed heart and lung shot on such a small animal will invariably rupture either the rhumen or the oesophagus as it passes through the chest cavity on some occasions. They are also tough little critters and will run a considerable distance with a heart/lung shot! There is very little meat in the front end of a muntjac, so I would always advise to keep the shot well forward to preserve the haunch and saddle area. Smashing the shoulders will drop the animal, but will lose some meat in doing so, although minimal. However, if you watch a muntjac for some time, you will notice that although the head is constantly moving, the low neck is actually fairly static as the head moves up and down as they are fairly stocky animals. A shot just in front of the shoulders (or very low neck) is about the same target size as the chest. It will drop the animal on the spot, and with very little prime meat damage.
    I have shot a few muntjac!
    MS

Thanks for the reply MS, this was much as I suspected although I didn't realise a heart/lung shot would have so much of a chance of rupturing the rhumen!
    I've read many of your posts and you are a far more experienced stalker than i am,and your advise is greatfully taken on board and appreciated.
    This particular permission is in the Forest of Dean, but they are starting to creep through the lower English/Welsh border, but on the ground I have I'm trying to let them get a foot hold..
    Although this will not sit right with many on here, I don't care. We are hardly overrun with deer in this part of the world.
    Many thanks again for replying with helpful advice.

ATB Lee

Hi lee i used 150 sierra for sometime and they drop muntjac just fine along with everything else and they did less damage then my 243 if you do get a chance to get hold of some barne ttsx in 130 then give them ago haven't found a bullet that performs like it. It will drop most thing on the spot even with chest shot big fallow bucks they don't make it much more than 20 yrds and there is very little. Meat damage atb

Quote Originally Posted by leej View Post
    on the ground I have I'm trying to let them get a foot hold..
    The whole point is deer management and crop protection with a side serving of handy venison - not killing every one on sight - I think you will find that this is the view of most on here.

Plus they never stop moving in my experience so the shot will not be as calm as with other deer species.
    Martin

monkey spanker has got the right idea there is very little meat at all on the front legs of a muntie so just write it off I put my shots right in the centre of the chest of a muntie or a neck shot and they all just go down on the spot ive only ever had one run on me and that only made it 15yrds and thats with a 90gr soft point out of my .243 so shoot within the distances you feel comfortable and you will be fine

FWIW, I use GK 150's in .308, my preferred POA when side on is middle of fore leg and halfway up body because they move a bit?
    Last edited by old man; 27-01-2016 at 16:34.

Thanks to all who've taken time to reply, It's much appreciated

ATB Lee

Quote Originally Posted by sir-lamp-alot View Post
    monkey spanker has got the right idea there is very little meat at all on the front legs of a muntie so just write it off I put my shots right in the centre of the chest of a muntie or a neck shot and they all just go down on the spot ive only ever had one run on me and that only made it 15yrds and thats with a 90gr soft point out of my .243 so shoot within the distances you feel comfortable and you will be fine
    + 1 I have shot quite a few, also only had one go around in a circle as the 95 gn round went right through the lungs at 175 yards and out the other side.
    The one I shot on Monday was just off front on so it went in the bib, not much meat on a front leg but the % shot gave me a very nice carcass less one leg.

Where they come from is ideal for them as it is not shot so they filter out on to the farm I shoot and one a mate shoots. From what I have learnt is they don't stand around for to long so if you are looking for a HL shot then you might be waiting...

I checked a trail this morning where I shot a buck on Monday, more tracks and scrape marks! The trail cam is out so a few days will show what time he is calling...

Good luck don't hold back...

Tim.243
    Last edited by Tim.243; 27-01-2016 at 19:20.
    Stalking is very much like going to the night club

You can always tell an Essex Boy, just you cant tell him much...

An hour in the field is worth a week of typing trash.....