Stock re-staining

AlexN

Hi folks,

I was wondering if someone could help me out here! I'm about to strip the stock on my Sauer 202 to stain it darker, however when I've done this in the past I've always had a gloss finish, so my question is, how do I get a matte finish like the one in this photo?...

AlexImageUploadedByTapatalk1453897496.241395.jpg

Best way;
1. Clean off all old finish.
2. Stain down as required. This will raise the grain.
3. Rub oil on and straight away rub it over with 600 grade wet and dry to remove the raised grain and form a slurry of oil & wood dust. Rub this in with a finger tip and leave to dry.
4.Once fully dry, lightly rub down to get velvet smooth finish. Repeat above if necessary until grain is fully filled.
5. Thereafter apply coat after coat to build up a good cover through which the grain can show. Any imperfections can be taken off with wet and dry or very fine steel wool.
6.When you are happy at the finish give it a very light rub end a final oil coat.

Last edited:
Go look at the detailed instructions and video for Pilkington's oil finish, even if you don't use that product.

You could finish it with the most modern catatlyzed varnish and still get a matte or semi-gloss finish; it is engineered into the drying.

I have had good results staining old linseed oil finished rifles which I completely stripped, by using alcohol stains.

Thanks for the tips chaps, I'll give it a go and post the finished photos, somehow I can guarantee that I'll do it wrong and it will end up glossy 😂

Lakeone products are good and no need to use linseed oil...if you don't want...I used to use them a lot. #9 "American Walnut" was my preferred. Liquid Staining Wax.

I got mine...well they last a long time...so I can't remember. But these folks I found by a keyword internet search. They'll be others. That might have the stains and staining waxes.

Lakeone wood finishes at Finneys Wood Finishes

Last edited:
The best stuff for staining gunstocks IMO is the proper oil of alkanet root.

i got a bottle of it from Dig Haddoke at Vintageguns.co.uk.

smells like baby vomit and looks worryingly red but really brings up the blacks and dark ends the rest nicely.

You can make your own red oil if you want. Just get the alkanet root chips...many places on internet sell them...and mix with locally bought boiled linseed oil them gently warm and leave. Like making tea! It'll save a fortune in postage over already made up stuff, be much cheaper, and you can experiment with how much you add to the oil to get a lighter or deeper red colour. Oh...and BTW...as 'red' as it looks your stock, if walnut, won't actually go red!

have a look at 'trade secrets' oil kit, has everything you need oil wise.
Done a number od stocks and given time gice a lovely finish
strip, sand to 600or 1200 grit avoiding checkering
put a bit if making tape over checkering to stop filling it up
stain with the aklanet oil, then build on the layers of linseed oil, i leave for afew days between thin coats but it comes with a hardening oil to speed thing up.
After 10-15 coats i leve for a few weeks then cut it back with rotten stone and give a wax polish.
durable, water proof and easy to touch up scratches on the 'hand rubbed oil finish'
Best of luck

+1
have a look at 'trade secrets' oil kit, has everything you need oil wise.
Done a number od stocks and given time gice a lovely finish
strip, sand to 600or 1200 grit avoiding checkering
put a bit if making tape over checkering to stop filling it up
stain with the aklanet oil, then build on the layers of linseed oil, i leave for afew days between thin coats but it comes with a hardening oil to speed thing up.
After 10-15 coats i leve for a few weeks then cut it back with rotten stone and give a wax polish.
durable, water proof and easy to touch up scratches on the 'hand rubbed oil finish'
Best of luck

Back