Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope recommendations.

Scope recommendations.

I'm looking for a new scope for a new rifle in the 5-600 price bracket.
    It should have adjustable magnification and an objective lens of 40 - 42.
    It will be atop a rifle for Africa but also for use in the UK.
    I've been looking around and must admit not looked much beyond German/European glass, the dependable Zeiss Duralyt can be picked up quite reasonably but I've also seen the Leupold VXR range of scopes which seem to offer good value for money but I've no experience with the brand.
    Any other suggestions would be welcome.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

You will not go wrong with a Leupold,I have several and they are all good. Fantastic quality and value.Still prefer my Zeiss but they come at a cost.

Find a S/H Swarovski PH 2.5-10x42. Job done. They appear here regularly.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

if you can find somthing from the big 3 then thats going to be your obvious choice after that I would be looking at either meopta or doctor failing that I would hold onto my cash, in my opnion there are a lot of scopes in your price bracket which just arnt up to scrach opticaly yes the may have adjustable this and illuminated that but none of that is worth a toss if you cant see your target in low light

You don't say what sort of rifle for which this scope is intended to be employed in Africa, nor what game.

My brother has a Swaro 2.5-10x42 on a newer .270 Win and is impressed, but has been using the same Leupold 2-8x36 on a 7mm RM for 30 years, from Alaska to Africa. He has not had to touch the knobs since he sighted it in: still dead zero.

A friend has a VXR on his custom .375 H&H Mauser, which I have shot at the range. It is smaller than you want, but I think his is a great setup for bear, boar, buffalo, moose and sable, because of the small illuminated dot. Very sharp glass. I have had a Leupold Vari-XIII 1.75-5x32 on a .375 and a VX3 3.5-10x50 on a Sauer and they were both very sharp, the 50mm very bright at dawn and dusk. I just wanted a smaller scope on the Sauer.

The Swarovski 1.7-10x42 is great; I managed to get one for 650 & I can't think of a more useful scope. Very bright & I wouldn't bother about the illuminated reticle option. I find the eye relief a bit long for a .243 but that should suit your purposes very well.

Thank you for your thoughts so far Gents. The rifle will be a 30-06 bolt action for plains game.
    Best Regards,
    Adrian.

Jedward. The reason why there are two barrels on a shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by McKenzie View Post
    The Swarovski 1.7-10x42 is great; I managed to get one for 650 & I can't think of a more useful scope. Very bright & I wouldn't bother about the illuminated reticle option. I find the eye relief a bit long for a .243 but that should suit your purposes very well.
    I'll bet it is.
    I recently moved a 1.5-6x42 to one of my .30-06s, a Steyr M Professional, which is an all-around hunting rifle. It has a huge field of view, even at 6x, and all the light gathering I would ever need. Below 2x, I can see the front sight on any rifle, but if it is down that low, I won't see it when it is on game. The 4A reticle keeps you from losing the crosshair when there is surrounding brush and foliage and is very useful to me for lining up on moving game, like driven or wounded animals ( Hope I don't need a second shot, but...).

Never used this supplier but heard only good reports ,R. Macleod Son, Tain, Scotland

Personally I would always buy a variable magnification with at least a 50mm objective lens, mainly for low light benefits. You will then only need to buy once. I use a SB that is over 30yrs old. Don't worry about age if buying one of the good makes.
    Last edited by Munty1; 27-01-2016 at 17:09.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

hi Adrian, who are you hunting with in Africa? For what its worth I use a Swarovski 6 X 42 on my 30-06 worked a treat in Africa and at home. I also had a 100 Bushnell 3-9 X 50 for my first Africa trip and it was absolutely fine.
    Tusker