Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free bacon & scratchings

Free bacon & scratchings

Thought I'd share an easy way of getting yourself some free bacon and pork scratchings with just a little bit of work in the kitchen!

If, like me, you know someone who rears their own pigs they may end up chucking the heads away if the punters don't want them. Even if you had to pay for them I doubt it would be expensive and there is an amazing amount of meat on a pigs noggin!!

The starting point, gratis pigs heads which are usually cut in half making it easy to work on!! I had 2 heads this week cut into 4.

Take the head and carefully cut from behind the ear and along under the eye and mouth. Work your way around the jaw and you end up with a good chunk of meat with the skin on. Repeat on each half.

Then carefully take the skin off with a bit of fat left on the meat and skin. You end up with some good stuff ready to cure!

Make up your bacon cure and vac pack or place in freezer bags in the fridge for 5 days turning and massaging each day. Drain off and place in the fridge dry for another 2 days before slicing.

Onto the skins. Some of the trimmings have a good amount of meat which make pukka scratchings.

The rest of the skin can be cut up, seasoned and cooked like crackling. Be warned though you get a lot so they won't do your waistline any good!! I'll put some pics up when they are cooked.

You also get a decent amount of trimmings that can be minced and made into meatballs or mixed with venison for burgers!!

So, there you have it. 2.5kg of bacon. Too many pork scratchings and a bit of mince from free pigs heads destined for the bin!! Cushty!!

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Sounds like a good way of 'smoothing' a cabinet deal!!.

Quote Originally Posted by 243ack View Post
    Sounds like a good way of 'smoothing' a cabinet deal!!.

I like your thinking mate my rabbit burgers are something else too!!

I need to try vac packing some scratchings to see if they stay fresh and crispy once they've cooled down or I'm going to end up like giant haystacks!!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

So, please forgive me, but re inventing the wheel comes to mind, or in this case reinventing Bath Chaps.
    Great post though.

A suggestion, add all the scraps of meat to the rest when curing, when done mince them and add to an equal amount of minced Venison, to every kilo add one whole egg, one onion minced,1 clove of garlic, 1tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp ground caraway, 1 tbsp. breadcrumbs and mix the lot together, kneading well.
    Form cricket ball sized balls and flatten slightly before frying them slowly until cooked through.
    These can be eaten straight away or left to go cold and used as a pick nick food on a shoot day, try it you wont forget the recipe!

Nice one Stratts. I've never made bacon from the cheeks, that's an ace idea. With the skin on they make a very nice air dried cut called guanciale. It ends up fairly fatty but very tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by levigsp View Post
    So, please forgive me, but re inventing the wheel comes to mind, or in this case reinventing Bath Chaps.
    Great post though.
    I wouldn't necesarily say so, bath chaps are wet cured and boiled, Stratts' bacon looks to be dry cured then to be fried/grilled. Apart from that you're right, they are almost identical.......

That's why when buying a boar carcass you buy with the head on due to the volume of meat in it. The cheaks etc are to some classed as a deli. I'd say by disposal of the head without utility in the meat is around 15% wasted. What can't be used as a serving like the cheaks would be good enough for sausage meat.

Bacon .........

God I struggle for 5 weeks when I'm in Middle East working

Terminal 5 ... Off the plane ... Decent cup o tea with proper milk & bacon roll

Paul

Congratulations on an alternative use for Pigs heads, as a Yorkshire man owt for nowt is ace.

For sale, Peppa Pig jigsaw puzzle, some parts missing
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.