Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife selection

Knife selection

I need to buy a couple of knives for butchering my pigs and the odd deer and have been told a Boning knife and Steak knife will be my best option, the problem is looking on the web there is such a choice do I go for a curved,straight, thin/wide,flexible or hard boning knife
    Nick

Check out the butchers equipment warehouse or smith's sundries. You will definitely need a steak knife for slicing as for boning pigs get a 6 inch curved flexible blade this will let you stay close to the bone. Victorinox and f.dick are the most popular.

Hope this is of any help ..........scott

Thanks scott flexible blade is the way to go then

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    Check out the butchers equipment warehouse or smith's sundries. You will definitely need a steak knife for slicing as for boning pigs get a 6 inch curved flexible blade this will let you stay close to the bone. Victorinox and f.dick are the most popular.

Hope this is of any help ..........scott
    The big man knows the sharp end of a knife that's for sure.

+1 Victorinox knives

No other reply needed

If you know who Bigscott is you understand there is nothing that guy can't do butchery wise

I have the victorinox 6" boning knive .... Great value

But few various places

Paul

Took advise from bigscott and bought the F Dick semi flexible from the Butchers equipment shop which has already been delivered. My mistake as I thought I had ordered flexible but I think it will still be OK

Quote Originally Posted by Bali View Post
    Took advise from bigscott and bought the F Dick semi flexible from the Butchers equipment shop which has already been delivered. My mistake as I thought I had ordered flexible but I think it will still be OK
    Bali it will do the job just the same. They are a hard knife and once you get it going it keeps a real good edge the other benefit is you can use it to skin

Thanks bigscott. Any tips on sharpening ? I have a Lansky sharpening kit but a bit slow when I am working on the carcass
    Nick

Nick get yourself a decent sharpening steel and a stone. I prefer a whetstone either a carborundum or Japanese. Just remember the steel only keeps the edge on a knife