Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Mountain Goat from County Kerry

Wild Mountain Goat from County Kerry

Travelled to County Kerry last week to stay with an old friend who moved out to Ireland 18 months ago, hes a member of the forum (Paul O Deer) but not active as hes got no internet access where he lives at the moment (coming shortly so they are told). I did not bother taking my rifles or fishing kit as Paul's got ample for the both of us & besides its a long drawn out affair taking firearms to Ireland.

Spent a few days fishing on Lough Leane, Rabbit shooting with the .17HMR & a bit of foxing (8 in one night although 10
    + is the norm!).

Met up with a farmer friend of Paul's who has some land near the coast & he offered me the opportunity to take a Wild Mountain Goat. So on Sunday we travelled the 20 miles or so to the area around Glenbeigh, found the track & after 15 minutes or so reached the end.

We saw Goats straight away low down but only females with youngsters. After an hour looking around & seeing only females we decided we would have to head up to the tops to get a better vantage point. Now my knees are pretty much shot so it took me a while with constant stops but finally we made it with glorious views all around.

We carefully shimmied over to the edges & checked though the binoculars & there below us in a small valley a herd of 8 Billys. 3 of the white ones had good heads with one being very good indeed but I had set my heart on a dark one & low & behold there was one dark coloured chap there, his head was not quite as good as the white but not far off so I decided to stalk down & around.

Luckily the wind was at our backs the whole time so we set off down into a small gully then up & across a downward sloping outcrop where we had to crawl for a couple of hundred yards into position.The herd had moved off steadily feeding but luckily not too far, we both guessed around 250 yards. So I decided to take the shot from there across a small valley as by this time the old knees were really taking a pounding.

I was carrying Paul's Remington 700 VSSF in .22-250 which is his foxing rifle & a heavy sod at the best of times so I was glad to set up on the bipod. It was a steep downhill shot & because of the Goats long coat very difficult to pick out where the front legs were but the shot was pretty good & it staggered 20 yards & dropped.

We gave it 5 minutes & moved down & found the Winchester 55 grain Ballistic Silvertip had entered just above & behind the right shoulder ranged down across the heart & we found this fragment & the base of the bullet embedded in the top of its left foreleg.

As the head was going to be set up we skinned it out from just behind the shoulders, this is a picture after finishing the skinning.

A great time was had & I cant wait for the head to come back from Ireland.

Cheers

Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Chris

Great write-up and nice photos! Glad to hear that you got out there in the end, avoiding all the volcanic ash.

That Billy will be one heck of a wall-hanger. Tell me though, do they smell as bad as people say and, if so, how does the taxidermist get rid of it?

Were the fish biting?

willie_gunn

Great post Chris,
    The stalk really comes to life with your photos and annotations. You have also made me realise how fantastic a trip to Ireland could be.
    It must be very satisfying that your fine trophy was so well earned. You will have to bring it along to the next Oxfordshire SD pub meet up - it would certainly create a stir and also ensure us a table if it does still smell like they say!
    Neal

Well done fella

Well put together thread,nice pics sounds like you had a great time.

nice write up an pics

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Chris

Great write-up and nice photos! Glad to hear that you got out there in the end, avoiding all the volcanic ash.

That Billy will be one heck of a wall-hanger. Tell me though, do they smell as bad as people say and, if so, how does the taxidermist get rid of it?

Were the fish biting?

willie_gunn

Cheers Dom

It was touch & go for the trip back but I wouldn't have minded staying a few more days I can tell you, they were due some rain & the Leane would have fished much better for it & it was too bright, (you can tell from that comment I didn't do too well but it was great to be out on the boat again).

The Goat didn't smell too bad, it all depends on the time of year, Paul took his gold medal head in November & it stank to high heaven as I think that's the rutting time, he had to undress outside the house. I've seen his head at the taxidermists & its nearly ready but it still has a bit of a smell, they are washed a number of times & then treated with a chemical to rid them of the odour.

ATB
    Chris
    Life should be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving skidding in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO what a ride!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rob View Post
    they are washed a number of times & then treated with a chemical to rid them of the odour.
    Chris

That's not so bad - in fact the wife often says I could do with much the same

Dom

Chris
    Bloody good job mate. Well chuffed for you mate after the disapointment of the cancelled trip first time round, I suppose it wouldn't matter if you were stuck the other side of the water, you might of got a white one to match.

Catch up soon I hope, maybe at the weekend

Jonathon

Nice write up I particularly liked the Kelly Kettle, it brings back fond memories of the Erriff.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Chris

That's not so bad - in fact the wife often says I could do with much the same

Dom
    LMFAO!!!

(Great write-up Chris; well done on the goat!)
    Nothing is worse than having an itch you can never scratch

"...Nicely just doesn't cut the cheese....." A new twist on management-speak courtesy of a colleague.