Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Re Defender diesel motor

Re Defender diesel motor

Seeing as how Tata had bought JLR in 2008 it is a wonder to me that they did not then install the companies Xenon 2.2 diesel motor in the Defender as it was an internal product instead of buying in the 2.2-litre unit designed, manufactured, and used by Peugeot-Citroen..
    I have bought a Xenon double cab 2 months ago as a cheapo replacement for my Hyundai Terracan and the motor in the Xenon runs really very well with a good low down grunt and it puts out 138 hp too better than the 120 hp in the Defender with good fuel economy to boot which would fit it well into the defenders power working range.
    Martin

the peugeot 2.2 in the freelander puts out 160 or 190 bhp,
    the ford transit 2.2 is a diferent engine.

Rumour was poverty spec Defenders were going to be made in India with the old 300Tdi engine and zero ECU's but now Eastern Europe is in the frame for the move from Solihull.

I was in the Tata design office in Pune 2013 and we could actually look down through big windows on the CKD RRs and Freelanders being assembled there.
    But what is the bhp output in Defender form?
    Martin

its about 120bhp but it is by far the most useable diesel engine ever put into a defender , i have one and have owned every varient of defender at some point , it has serious torque and a clever fuel management system that gives a different fuel map for every gear
    no turbo lag it will pull and pull and pull ,hills here with a full sheep trailer are 5th gear where with any of the predecessors would be down to 3rd , acting the hoone its just as fast as my old comp safari v8 engines hybrid
    a barony original

couldn't they have fitted the 2.7v6 ? and an auto box ?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Rumour was poverty spec Defenders were going to be made in India with the old 300Tdi engine and zero ECU's but now Eastern Europe is in the frame for the move from Solihull.
    I must have missed something. You're saying there is a non-poverty spec landy?

Though the last one I was in did have the Cold Climate Pack. Or at least I think it did as the climate inside was fecking Baltic. And smelt like a navvies jockstrap.
    I never make the same mistake twice.

I make it five or six times.

Just to be sure.

Ha Ha... The XS is pretty well loaded up in a 1980's kinda way.

I Have a 110 d/cab, it has 170 bhp,elect windows,heated seats & screen & air con !! so not that bad

I assume that you must have short arms then as most folks keep banging their elbows.
    Martin