Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Trophy Bag Kooler"

"Trophy Bag Kooler"

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the "Trophy Bag Kooler". I think it's originally from the states but is also sold here. Essentially it's a large cooler back for a whole deer carcass but i've read mixed reviews. I'm looking for something that can fit in the back of a VW polo to transport a carcass or butchered joints back home to London after a stalk and thought it might be worth a try. Previously I've butchered in the field and brought back in heavy bin liners but looking for something a bit neater-especially if unloading an unprocessed animal from car to front door.

P.S apologies if this is posted in the wrong section!

I can't comment on the kooler bag but earlier this year a friend brought a 160 litre cool box stalking with us. Obviously it wouldn't take a complete beast but it will easily take a field dressed red. With a couple of bags of ice it kept it chilled for several days.

I wouldn't put a carcass or primal cuts in a cool box until its cold. You will effectively be putting the meat in a slow cooker. cool boxes are designed to keep things cool or hot, they are not designed to cool a hot carcass down. Ventilation and maybe frozen bottles of water inside and surrounding the carcass will help bring the temperature down before putting in a cool box.

Unless you're looking to transport a big red in one piece, one of these should carry a carcass of most medium and small deer and keep your car clean. They are water/blood tight and you can't knock the price.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/waterproo...d_8282738.html

Attachment 65993

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Part of the cooling process relies on evaporation of moisture (latent heat of vaporisation) which is why we sweat to keep cool.
    A deer in a bag will remain moist and sweaty which is not a good condition. I'd have thought an open carcass tray with air circulation would be best. It takes a carcass a good while to cool to ambient temperature anyway. Would you then have to butcher it on arrival in London, or do you have a chiller. I ask, as skinning and butchering a deer which has just set firm with rigor mortis is not easy!
    MS

in the cold weather ive been taking a couple of two litre milk bottles full of water frozen solid and putting them in the carcase,still partly frozen the day after when i arrive home,
    DONT START

I have a collapsible cool box with a foldable trolley like the ones people use for suitcases or large boxes inside. It quite happily holds a roe deer and on one occasion a muntjac and a CWD. I've used this contraption several times to carry deer home on the train. It just looks like I have a really large picnic. Which isn't far from the truth. And the journey isn't too long either.

One thing though: I wouldn't put venison directly in a bin liner as these are generally treated with pesticides and fungicides.

When stalking in Scotland I cool them under the trees then transport home in these, keeps all the critters inside cheap and very strong holds a large red easy the smaller size is good for roe
    Search results for: 'body bag' | GP Supplies UK

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated! I'll do a blanket reply rather than individual ones.

Just to add to the OP, the process mentioned was also my first so i dont have a huge wealth of experience to drawn on in terms of previous trips and what would work best for me- what i can say is that we Grolloched in field, did a separate suspended skin and then jointed the beast. By the time it was in the boot of the car it had cooled considerably but I just lacked something suitable for the journey in the boot. Once home i then broke it down and labelled it up.

My reasoning for a bag or something similar, is initially something practical for the car, but also discreet on returning home ie no blood soaked bags or obvious body parts (if i can help it). I don't have a game chiller at home so would butcher and vac-pack the meat straight off the bat. I do have the facilities to suspend the carcass so could skin once home instead of in the field- but again I'll take any advice you have on that too!

All the links you guys have sent separately have been great, has any one had any experience with these muslin bags? Allen Muslin Deer Bag Sack Roe Muntjac x 4

I may just be overthinking things and perhaps the above muslin bags in a plasters bath would be the way forward? Again any suggestions or thoughts would be hugely appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernow_to_LDN View Post
    Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated! I'll do a blanket reply rather than individual ones.

Just to add to the OP, the process mentioned was also my first so i dont have a huge wealth of experience to drawn on in terms of previous trips and what would work best for me- what i can say is that we Grolloched in field, did a separate suspended skin and then jointed the beast. By the time it was in the boot of the car it had cooled considerably but I just lacked something suitable for the journey in the boot. Once home i then broke it down and labelled it up.

My reasoning for a bag or something similar, is initially something practical for the car, but also discreet on returning home ie no blood soaked bags or obvious body parts (if i can help it). I don't have a game chiller at home so would butcher and vac-pack the meat straight off the bat. I do have the facilities to suspend the carcass so could skin once home instead of in the field- but again I'll take any advice you have on that too!

All the links you guys have sent separately have been great, has any one had any experience with these muslin bags? Allen Muslin Deer Bag Sack Roe Muntjac x 4

I may just be overthinking things and perhaps the above muslin bags in a plasters bath would be the way forward? Again any suggestions or thoughts would be hugely appreciated.
    If you do have to butcher it that quick, the vacuum packing is a great idea as you can then leave it in a normal fridge for a few days before freezing to 'age' a little or else it will come out of the freezer as stiff and tough as it went in! Leaving it in bags is not a successful as vac packing.
    MS