Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using Windows 10?

Anyone using Windows 10?

I am about to buy a reconditioned PC Base Unit to replace my old and very slow one. The base unit I am thinking of buying has been professionally refurbished and tested and currently has Windows 7 on it with the following spec:
    Brand: Dell Processor Speed: 3.00GHz
    Model: OptiPlex 755 SFF Memory: 4GB
    Type: PC Desktop Hard Drive Capacity: 160GB
    Product Line: Optiplex Operating System: Windows 7
    MPN: E8400 Operating System Edition: Professional 64 Bit
    Processor Type: Intel Core 2 Duo EAN: Does not apply
    I have a (Licensed) disc for Windows 10 which I am thinking about loading on to the base unit if and when I buy it.
    My question is does anyone on here currently use Windows 10 and if so what do they think of it?
    Both good and bad points if you would - In language that a computer dummy can understand please.

Best reason for upgrading to Windows 10 is if you have Windos 8 which is bloody awful.

If I were you I'd consider sticking with Windows 7. The change in look and feel is significant going to 10 and I'm not convinced there's a real benefit... Windows 7 is stable and does everything most folk require.

Also likely that Windows 10 might push that spec a bit and you'll get poorer performance.

Cheers,

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post
    Best reason for upgrading to Windows 10 is if you have Windos 8 which is bloody awful.

If I were you I'd consider sticking with Windows 7. The change in look and feel is significant going to 10 and I'm not convinced there's a real benefit... Windows 7 is stable and does everything most folk require.

Also likely that Windows 10 might push that spec a bit and you'll get poorer performance.

Cheers,

Andy
    As above... Upgrade to 10 as a last resort. I am clinging onto 7 on my personal laptop!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

I had 8 on the PC world laptop that I bought and it was junk so I took the free upgrade offer from MS to 10 and it seems to be more stable.
    I use 7 at work and prefer it as it does do all that I need.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by andyf View Post

Cheers,

Andy
    Andy, when you say that I might get poor performance from Window 10 with that spec on the PC could you explain a little more about how it might effect it please?

I run Windows 7 Professional 64 bit on the Intel I5 processor desktop PC & it works fine as long as the software is up to the 64bit standard - It doesn't like some some old packages & "complains".
    The wife bought a new touch screen laptop & it needed Windows 10 for that function. I get lost trying to do the simplest things on it -very frustrating! - It's software for the "modern" world & not for luddites like me.
    I'd stick with version 7 - it works & is robust - I see no advantage with 10, particularly on old hardware.
    Bring back DOS!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieBoy View Post
    Andy, when you say that I might get poor performance from Window 10 with that spec on the PC could you explain a little more about how it might effect it please?
    Each new version of Windows uses more and more system resources - disk space, memory etc. - than the version before. It's the price you pay for the added bells and whistles which are of questionable value to most people. If it's on a brand new machine then it will probably not be an issue as hardware specs are increasing all the time and can cope. But if you put it on an older machine you might encounter problems with the machine being unstable or running slow. It's down to the OS using so much of the resources that the stuff you actually want to do on PC has got very little left to work with, hence the reduction in performance and stability.

Just had a quick squint on theDell website and their most basic machines are being spec'd with quad-core processors and 500Gb disk space. Just the next models up ship with 16Gb memory. All of that is a significant uplift on the spec you're looking at which makes me think Windows 10 would be an unnecessary load on your system resources. But for Win7 it should be tickety boo!

Upgrade to Windows 10 and it'll be fine. I don't think mine has ever crashed since I installed it. Windows 10 uses the same resources as Windows 8, a fact sourced from Microsoft's own site before I upgraded. So although historically each next generation of Windows is more resource hungry than the last, this just isn't true with 10. What's more, you'll find it boots up MUCH quicker and is more stable.

You can even configure it to look just like previous versions of Windows, so you'll feel right at home. My upgrade went well when I did it, the only bug bear being that I had to re-do the monitor settings to get everything in proportion and the right size again. And of course it's like watching paint dry until it's done.

The other thing to note is that Windows 10 comes with it's new browser, Microsoft Edge. That does take a bit of getting used to. But of course you can still carry on using your browser of choice, whether that's Internet Explorer or something else.

Samsung Smart TV's will not connect to a Windows 10 computer

Go on P.W Frenchie and read the blurb its a pants spyware system.they asses all you do to build a "Profile" about you for microsnot to send things you "might" like your way.The internet connection is ropey and keeps crashing .The fault ,virus or whatever the problem is has already been on the news as its a worldwide problem.Windows 7 is a far safer prospect imho.4 out of 5 people unistall 10 it if that says how good it is.
    she buys shoes i buy ,shooting,she stops buying shoes,il be amazed