Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243/6mm bullet advice

243/6mm bullet advice

I am having another play with 6mm/243 again and was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for bullet heads for use on deer at approx 200 feet per second faster than a standard 243 load?
    Perhaps someone uses a 243 ackley and has something to add. The barrel will be a 1 in 10" twist.
    thanks

Hi I have a Tikka T3 light 243
    I use Hornady 100 gr btsp interlock. Hodgdon H4895 33.2 power for the passed few years I have found it to be a great load

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by bbrc View Post
    I am having another play with 6mm/243 again and was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for bullet heads for use on deer at approx 200 feet per second faster than a standard 243 load?
    Perhaps someone uses a 243 ackley and has something to add. The barrel will be a 1 in 10" twist.
    thanks
    95g Noslers with Rel 22 or H4350, good combos.

So far the 95 grain partitions have provided poor grouping in my 6mm Remington chambered rifle. The 95 grain Hornady SST however groups quite well. If your going to be pushing the bullet that bit faster then I would suggest a bonded core bullet or perhaps a monometal bullet. I will really depepnd on what your barrel likes.

I currently shoot a custom built 243AI. Firstly, you may have a lot of experience in reloading but if not, I would not attempt any load suggested and expect it to work in your rifle. They are just that, custom developed for a particular rifle. By all means give them a go but don't expect good results. You may be lucky but more often than not it will require a bit of adjustment. My rifle has a 1 in 8 twist 24'' barrel as I had no intention of shooting anything lighter than 85grn heads in it. I began using Hornady 87grn HPBT's and have now loaded up some Sierra 85grn Gamekings. Powder was H4350. Groups were sub 1'' to start with and after a bit of playing they are now down to sub 1/2'' at 100yds. This is out of a completely custom built rifle remember. I'm not going to suggest powder weights you should try as I don't want that responsibility however, I began with 2grns over that recommended in the Hornady reloading guide although have moved up a bit higher again since. An extra 200fps+ in an AI is a realistic increase depending on bullet weight. Have a look at the 6mm BR website, they have a section on loads for .243AI.

If you have never reloaded for a AI before, the biggest advantage I have found is that there is virtually no case stretch after the brass has been fire-formed. Over 3 or 4 reloads I have never had to trim the necks back. This is obviously down to the 40degree shoulder angle preventing a 'flow' of brass forward during firing. I began with Federal factory loads and after shooting them carried on using the fire-formed cases as described above.

Personally, I love the calibre and have shot all of the large species of deer with it. Any rifle I have built in the future would always be a calibre that lends itself to the AI concept simply because it does just what it says, improves with the advantage of less work in the reloading process. I've also heard from someone who uses the 105grn A-Max heads in his AI and says they are also super accurate and good at downing the animal.

Hope this helps a bit.

Bbrc

I have a 243 WSSM it can push a 95gn bullet at over 3200fps from a 22” barrel, I don’t push mine quite that fast around 3100fps as this is were best accuracy is, however I have used 95gn SST on red, roe and fallow with no signs of the bullets braking up, I do have some Nosler which I will try next although I understand that these are a bit more explosive.

ATB

Tahr

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
    I was wondering if the extra velocity would cause bullets to over expand.
    I think I'll try starting with the 95 sst's and the partitions and see which shoot best.
    Thanks again.

Come on bbrc what louderbiggerbangmagnum are you running in 6mm not a H&H 244 magnum is it?

ATB

Tahr

Thar,
    Thanks for the reply and the interest.
    In my heap of assorted gun treasure (one mans trash being another mans treasure as they say!! ) I have a barrel chambered in 240 weatherby, I'm tempted to leave it as is but then the cheaper 06 brass of a rechamber in 6mm06 keeps popping into my muddled mind!!! Decisions, decisions
    Rgds
    Bbrc

Quote Originally Posted by bbrc View Post
    Thar,
    Thanks for the reply and the interest.
    In my heap of assorted gun treasure (one mans trash being another mans treasure as they say!! ) I have a barrel chambered in 240 weatherby, I'm tempted to leave it as is but then the cheaper 06 brass of a rechamber in 6mm06 keeps popping into my muddled mind!!! Decisions, decisions
    Rgds
    Bbrc
    Go for it you know it makes sense ........................... Weatherby Phtooy ............................... wouldn't give one house room!