Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intrusion Alarm Requirment

Intrusion Alarm Requirment

At long last, I am getting ready to move to a house I have purchased. I don't have my FAC, SAC or any other cert. for firearms; having just moved to Scotland in 2014.

I will be purchasing a good weapons safe and storing it in an inconspicuous place.

What I need to know is if there is a requirement for an intrusion alarm, on my house, before I submit for any of the certs. I have not read anything saying one way or the other, but I have not read anyone mentioning it either.

I am itching to get my rifles and shotguns under my roof, again, so I can join in on the stalking opportunities (with my own weapons), but I want to do everything as it is supposed to be done; preventing as many problems as possible.

Thanks, in advance.

Grant

Hi Grant,

Under normal circumstances there's no need for a burglar alarm. In fact you don't need to have the cabinet installed prior to application, your FEO would come and inspect it prior to issuing a certificate though. As long as the cabinet is fitted within your house ( as opposed to garage or outbuildings) in a place out of the way of casual visitors you should be grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    Hi Grant,

Under normal circumstances there's no need for a burglar alarm. In fact you don't need to have the cabinet installed prior to application, your FEO would come and inspect it prior to issuing a certificate though. As long as the cabinet is fitted within your house ( as opposed to garage or outbuildings) in a place out of the way of casual visitors you should be grand.
    Thanks Legolas. I have read some of the horror stories, in SD, about the problems and, having gone through enough problems just to be able to purchase this house, I don't feel like having to fight more problems; if not needed.

Germany, where the rifles and all are, presently, stored, requires a weapons safe so that will be no problem; other than having more safes than I need. ~

SD Regular
    I think that there are, in FEO's guidance, certain inputs that take account of the area of the applicant's residence and the number of weapons wished to be possessed. That is over eleven or twelve weapons may be grounds to advise an alarm.

My experience is that some FEO's may be "happier" if they have suggested where the cabinet is located rather than be presented with the deed done, as it were....and that makes an application proceed more smoothly.

Are the weapons possessed on a German licence? If so maybe apply for a EU Firearms Permit in Germany. Bring them to UK, lodge them with an RFD and then just bring the now temporarily redundant sfae over from Germany and if it meets the UK guidelines and your FEO's approval install in your new home in Scotland?
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 29-01-2016 at 13:08.

After allowing my c/fires they did tell me to get an alarm on the pretext that they would open my cert for c/fires,short story i did they didn,t,,,but thats licencing for you,,,,,but where your situated mate a couple of hundred miles from my force you will be ok,,,,best regards doug,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I think that there are, in FEO's guidance, certain inputs that take account of the area of the applicant's residence and the number of weapons wished to be possessed. That is over eleven or twelve weapons may be grounds to advise an alarm.

My experience is that some FEO's may be "happier" if they have suggested where the cabinet is located rather than be presented with the deed done, as it were....and that makes an application proceed more smoothly.

Are the weapons possessed on a German licence? If so maybe apply for a EU Firearms Permit in Germany. Bring them to UK, lodge them with an RFD and then just bring the now temporarily redundant sfae over from Germany and if it meets the UK guidelines and your FEO's approval install in your new home in Scotland?
    How will you bring them from tthe point of UK entry to an RFD? I think a visitors permit or a conditioned cert needs to be issued by the relevant police area in Scotland to allow the ownership just like when a shooter dies as per the wife needs a short term cert to sell them.
    I did this trip in reverse when I went to live in Germany and it was painless.
    Martin

enfieldspares is right. Normally a house alarm isn't required, but if you keep a fair quantity of firearms there (and I seem to recall the figure of a dozen, but that'll bear checking if it's an issue) or your house is in an area that is particularly prone to being frequented by burglars then they may well want an alarm fitted.

As for the siting of any cabinet(s) I really don't think that the FEO is going to specifically tell you where to put them so long as you apply the usual common sense measures, although there's certainly nothing wrong with seeking their advice about such things.

A&S - up to 6 guns no requirement - 6-9 proximity alarm (alarm on entry door into where cabinet is) - 10+ house alarm - FEO guidance
    For Gods sake - don't tell her how much I've spent

Ctrl-Alt FACT

If your FEO makes noises about an alarm, ask him who is going to respond to it. Brora is not exactly a crime ridden metropolis, the nearest poliss are probably hours away and if you are in an isolated rural situation it's a waste of money. Physical security of solid doors, good locks and lights are a better use of cash.

No requirement round here - NWP are remarkably relaxed about security. They have a good interpretation of the word "reasonable".
    But a friend of mine in South Wales, in a pretty rough area, was asked to fit an alarm to get his FAC.
    I've heard of some areas where you're expected to fit an alarm if you've got 10+ guns.