Intrusion Alarm Requirment

BearStalker

At long last, I am getting ready to move to a house I have purchased.:lol: I don't have my FAC, SAC or any other cert. for firearms; having just moved to Scotland in 2014.

I will be purchasing a good weapons safe and storing it in an inconspicuous place.

What I need to know is if there is a requirement for an intrusion alarm, on my house, before I submit for any of the certs. I have not read anything saying one way or the other, but I have not read anyone mentioning it either.

I am itching to get my rifles and shotguns under my roof, again, so I can join in on the stalking opportunities (with my own weapons), but I want to do everything as it is supposed to be done; preventing as many problems as possible.

Thanks, in advance.

Grant

Hi Grant,

Under normal circumstances there's no need for a burglar alarm. In fact you don't need to have the cabinet installed prior to application, your FEO would come and inspect it prior to issuing a certificate though. As long as the cabinet is fitted within your house ( as opposed to garage or outbuildings) in a place out of the way of casual visitors you should be grand.

Hi Grant,

Under normal circumstances there's no need for a burglar alarm. In fact you don't need to have the cabinet installed prior to application, your FEO would come and inspect it prior to issuing a certificate though. As long as the cabinet is fitted within your house ( as opposed to garage or outbuildings) in a place out of the way of casual visitors you should be grand.

Thanks Legolas. I have read some of the horror stories, in SD, about the problems and, having gone through enough problems just to be able to purchase this house, I don't feel like having to fight more problems; if not needed.

Germany, where the rifles and all are, presently, stored, requires a weapons safe so that will be no problem; other than having more safes than I need. ~

I think that there are, in FEO's guidance, certain inputs that take account of the area of the applicant's residence and the number of weapons wished to be possessed. That is over eleven or twelve weapons may be grounds to advise an alarm.

My experience is that some FEO's may be "happier" if they have suggested where the cabinet is located rather than be presented with the deed done, as it were....and that makes an application proceed more smoothly.

Are the weapons possessed on a German licence? If so maybe apply for a EU Firearms Permit in Germany. Bring them to UK, lodge them with an RFD and then just bring the now temporarily redundant sfae over from Germany and if it meets the UK guidelines and your FEO's approval install in your new home in Scotland?

Last edited:
After allowing my c/fires they did tell me to get an alarm on the pretext that they would open my cert for c/fires,short story i did they didn,t,,,but thats licencing for you,,,,,but where your situated mate a couple of hundred miles from my force you will be ok,,,,best regards doug,:tiphat:

I think that there are, in FEO's guidance, certain inputs that take account of the area of the applicant's residence and the number of weapons wished to be possessed. That is over eleven or twelve weapons may be grounds to advise an alarm.

My experience is that some FEO's may be "happier" if they have suggested where the cabinet is located rather than be presented with the deed done, as it were....and that makes an application proceed more smoothly.

Are the weapons possessed on a German licence? If so maybe apply for a EU Firearms Permit in Germany. Bring them to UK, lodge them with an RFD and then just bring the now temporarily redundant sfae over from Germany and if it meets the UK guidelines and your FEO's approval install in your new home in Scotland?
How will you bring them from tthe point of UK entry to an RFD? I think a visitors permit or a conditioned cert needs to be issued by the relevant police area in Scotland to allow the ownership just like when a shooter dies as per the wife needs a short term cert to sell them.
I did this trip in reverse when I went to live in Germany and it was painless.
Martin

enfieldspares is right. Normally a house alarm isn't required, but if you keep a fair quantity of firearms there (and I seem to recall the figure of a dozen, but that'll bear checking if it's an issue) or your house is in an area that is particularly prone to being frequented by burglars then they may well want an alarm fitted.

As for the siting of any cabinet(s) I really don't think that the FEO is going to specifically tell you where to put them so long as you apply the usual common sense measures, although there's certainly nothing wrong with seeking their advice about such things.

A&S - up to 6 guns no requirement - 6-9 proximity alarm (alarm on entry door into where cabinet is) - 10+ house alarm - FEO guidance

If your FEO makes noises about an alarm, ask him who is going to respond to it. Brora is not exactly a crime ridden metropolis, the nearest poliss are probably hours away and if you are in an isolated rural situation it's a waste of money. Physical security of solid doors, good locks and lights are a better use of cash.

No requirement round here - NWP are remarkably relaxed about security. They have a good interpretation of the word "reasonable".
But a friend of mine in South Wales, in a pretty rough area, was asked to fit an alarm to get his FAC.
I've heard of some areas where you're expected to fit an alarm if you've got 10+ guns.

Alarms only say you have kit to nick ? Essex old bill won't turn out??? but saying that I have pads & cctv, all the bells, with all that in place it will only help me to gain the funds back if I am robbed and prove after the fuss is made and blown away that i'v made every effort to prevent some turd getting in ? best alarms imo are the one's that obtain DNA :D

I sort of agree a bit but we are talking firearms not mums best candle sticks, being made to fit an alarm is bolx and its not part of the firearms act as far as I know ??? I never had any problems until I fitted a bell box , when I was told to fit an in sight alarm the flo back then said if I drive by and see it I'll take it as red you have fitted one ????? but as you know its only deterrent,and any **** face lowlife git finding a big safe is another story.
copy of the bla bla.
Police attendanceFor Type A alarms there are two levels of response:
Level 1 – Immediate/urgent
The police do not guarantee to attend within a certain time period and attendance will be determined by the level of demand on police resources at the time and their other priorities
Level 3 – No response
(The ARC will instead only be able to inform your keyholders) – See below:
There has been a steady increase in the availability of DIY intruder alarms, personal attack alarms and CCTV systems, many of which have the ability to activate alarms and automatically send signals/messages to people’s landline and mobile telephones and computers. As the majority will not meet European and British standards and will not be monitored by an approved Alarm Receiving Centre (ARC) the police will not attend the venue unless:
There is some additional indication from a person at the scene that a criminal offence is in progress, which indicates that a police response is required. Any additional electronic confirmation of the alarm activation (required by Type A systems) will not achieve police response.
The police do not guarantee a response to Type B systems and should your neighbours hear your alarm activate they should pass on the information using the police telephone number or 999 as appropriate. The police will only attend if they are satisfied that a criminal offence is in progress.
Automatic dialling equipment must not be programmed to call police telephone numbers and calls received from unapproved ARCs or from ARCs without a valid Unique Reference Number (URN) will not receive a police response.
What happens if I have false alarms?If your alarm system generates 3 false calls in a rolling 12 month period you will lose your Level 1 response
Following 2 false calls in 12 months you will receive a letter from the police advising you of the situation and recommending urgent remedial action
After withdrawal of police response your system will continue to be monitored by the ARC and a period of 3 months free of false alarms will enable your system to once again receive a Level 1 response. If the rate of false alarms is such that reinstatement of police response has been delayed for more than 6 months your URN will be deleted and you’ll have to reapply for a new one
You will drive your neighbours mad and, after too many false alarms, your neighbours won’t even bother to look in the direction of your house when it goes off – having reached the ‘cry wolf’ situation.
If the false alarms keep on happening you could find yourself in trouble with the local authority and could experience the embarrassment of having a noise abatement notice served on you.
If the system is causing false alarms do investigate the problem thoroughly with your alarm installer and if it’s a system that you installed, perhaps you should go for a professional installation next time.
I beg your forgiveness i'v just found out by reading the act yet again that under : level 2 19:33
Where the individual circumstances are such that additional security might be required (for example, a high crime location, building regularly unoccupied, substantial number of firearms on the premises, repeat victimisation etc.), in addition to the provision of a suitable cabinet, gun room or safe, the following may be considered: a) The final exit door locks should be to BS3621 or equivalent and any French windows/ patio doors should have an integral locking system or be provided with supplementary locks to frustrate forcible opening, together with anti-lift blocks if applicable; b) Windows on the ground floor and those accessible from flat roofs etc should be fitted with an appropriate type and number of locks which are self-latching or key operated. These should have casement-to-frame locking along the opening edge; c) An audible intruder alarm to the appropriate standard protecting either the whole of the premises or those parts of the premises deemed necessary;

Last edited:
To summarise the above, which it seems most police areas adhere to, if they get a notification that an alarm is going off, either on private or business premises, the police will not attend. Should there be some more information that a crime is being committed (someone calls in and says a man in a mask with a bag over his shoulder with "swag" written on it, wearing a black and white striped shirt is climbing in a broken window for example) they then will attend. If there's anyone available that is.

Not like it was. But we are paying more taxes....

:rofl: love it! and it sums it up much better than I did :cuckoo:

To summarise the above, which it seems most police areas adhere to, if they get a notification that an alarm is going off, either on private or business premises, the police will not attend. Should there be some more information that a crime is being committed (someone calls in and says a man in a mask with a bag over his shoulder with "swag" written on it, wearing a black and white striped shirt is climbing in a broken window for example) they then will attend. If there's anyone available that is.

Not like it was. But we are paying more taxes....

As I've just found out Devon & Cornwall require anyone holding 5 Shotguns/Firearms in one property to have them covered my an alarm system.
As i store mine at my old mans place this poses a pain in the arse as they are held in separate cabinets, both in different rooms, both have now been fitted with stand alone PIR alarms, purchased from Homebase at £15 per unit, and easy to fit with a programable pin code.

Don't have one, don't need one.

Read the home office guidelines - a sticky in the legal section. Three levels of security. 1) surrounding neighbourhood - are you in the middle of a crime and drug ridden hosing estate? 2) general level of house security - well built, solid walls, doors Windows etc. Who else has access to the property and 3) security of guns themselves. There is actually no need for a cabinet but probably a cabinet is the easiest way to provide adequate security. Cabinet should not be visible to casual visitors.

Back