Off Subject Advice speeding

centralbeltstalker

Hi Everyone,

Need some advice or peoples perception of the law.:eek:

I was traveling back from inverness on Sunday and was spied by a mobile safety van doing 66 in a 50.:oops:
i did think it was a 60 and was behind two others oblivious to life....
He was half way down a hill on the a9 mounted on the grass verge round a corner.
I was third in a row. i.e two cars in front of me. i was in a white van:doh:.... dont go there;)

the time was 12.45 pm Sunday and the ticket arrived Tues morn 09.30. thats fast. :(

Now my questions,

1 is it legal to be on the grass verge and not in a specific space.
2, is it legal to be half way down a hill.
3, is it legal to get only the last car or do they have to catch all. i got previous cars reg...
4, how often do signs have to be if the road has a temporary or new speed limit.
5, is this not entrapment...

I am going to appeal.

I AM NOT HAPPY:-| safety vs money

F.:oops::cry::(

This should be interesting:D
No exceptions or legal excuse so i am told even traffic cops get stuffed for speeding

Last edited:
I was caught down Barrow moving in a convoy, 68 in a 60. You were 18mph over the limit. They can and do set up where they want. Taynault is now all 30 but a few years back the start from Oban was 40 then down hill from the railway bridge it dropped to 30. Natural thing was to let go the trottle and let the engine slow you. Unfortunately you were stil over when you rounded the corner and they zapped you from the Taynuilt hotel. No official spot. One day in connel I saw the dustbin from the school out on a Friday. Strange, I lived in connel and it was not bin day. As I got to it The sneaky gentlemen had a camera on a tripod hidden by the bin and they were hiding in the school carpark. They need there numbers for their quota just like cull figures,
Jim

I got caught by a fixed speed camera last year and was sent to the speed awareness course in lieu of the points (course fee is the same as the fine - of course!) I was doing 43 in what turned out to be a 30 zone (I thought it was 40) - "Ignorance is no excuse" says the law...

I'll check the booklet about distances between signs but....

If this was a mobile not fixed camera - was it mounted in a vehicle or hand-held? Hand-held ones are more prone to operator error: you can appeal on these grounds or if the operator has not been checked recently.

Camera should have been calibrated within a certain time before use
Distance between the camera and the spot you were 'pinged' at must be measured and known in order to get an accurate reading
Operator must be accompanied (in order to prevent fraud)

I know someone in my office successfully appealed on these grounds (he privately admitted to speeding, but used these technicalities to get off)...

Agreed, ignorance is no excuse and we should not speed, but very often you do find that these cameras are being used simply to generate fine money rather than increase safety...

They dont need to have signs or markings for mobile units, these only apply to fixed cameras, in fact our area has an unmarked transit van with a hole cut in the back door for the camera.

They don't have to do every car they can select at random.

Also do you have any more speeding tickets, I was told at last F.A.C. renewal that a speeding ticket would not affect a renewal, but as I had picked up a few over the years it could be interpreted as a disregard for the law and could be held. against my application.

Was told it would not affect that application, but in the future all offences however minor would be taken in to consideration

As a point of interest on this subject. At my last renewal the FLO aked if i was caught speeding etc to let him know personally. They will be told in due course by traffic he informed me and so better to be up front. Just my luck i was able to tell him all clear. My region is Strathclyde. Has anyone else been given this advice.

1 is it legal to be on the grass verge and not in a specific space.
2, is it legal to be half way down a hill.
3, is it legal to get only the last car or do they have to catch all. i got previous cars reg...
4, how often do signs have to be if the road has a temporary or new speed limit.
5, is this not entrapment...

(

Is it legal to exceed the speed limit by 16 mph.
How can it be entrapment if you are driving in excess of the (unnoticed) speed limit.
Happy or not you are a volunteer I am afraid :stir:

John

Do not go there I did ended up with 11 points out of 12 for my audacity to try and buck the system . Pay the fine . Take the 3 points .

The crap you read and are told about what they can and cannot do is just that crap ,it is your word against the camera they will tell you the camera does not lie .

Don't forget if you loose ,theres also the court costs ,Hmmmmm your head is going further and further between your legs to kiss your arse good by .

Do not go there I did ended up with 11 points out of 12 for my audacity to try and buck the system . Pay the fine . Take the 3 points .

The crap you read and are told about what they can and cannot do is just that crap ,it is your word against the camera they will tell you the camera does not lie .

Don't forget if you loose ,theres also the court costs ,Hmmmmm your head is going further and further between your legs to kiss your arse good by .

I would have thought with a name like Widows Son you would have been able to pull the right strings to get those points 'lost in the system'!! JC

I tend to agree with WS. I decided to go to court rather than accept the fixed penalty and ended up with 5 points and £550 instead. Sometimes you just have to bend over.

Bite your tongue, & take the points, you are on a hiding to nothing to try & fight this one, we all have concentration lapses, just make sure you dont have two more too soon!:cool:

Are you sure it was you driving the car:idea:

Was it not one a friend of yours from Poland or one of the EU states who you lent the car too after he showed you his EU driving licience, it could have been I suppose:gheyfight:

i would also take the points as a rule you are allowed 10 percent for speedo error i now have a clean liscence but did accumilate alot at one time i went to contest one of them as it was a work vehicle at the time and asked for a calibration cert which they do almost daily but asked anyway and it was produced then went down the road of saying it could of been anybody driving the work van so they produced a fantastic clear picture of me singing along to the radio:oops: so that was the end of that. on the other cars that where in front i dont think they do anything on that score as the camera needs to be on one car might be wrong though.

hi,

:banghead:

I know i was speeding at the 66, but my wife whom was with me did not see the sign either:love:

if the car in front didnt get one but i did as a van driver surely thats discrimination:confused:

i also know about the effect this can have on my Fac, Mr D. my firearms chap has been good in stating this.:oops:

i was sure they had to do it over 1/4 mile not 50 blxxdy yards:-|

money grabbing gits.....:evil:

I have had a clean liscence for 17 years but got clocked doing 94 on the A75 at 0100 on monday morning. I am sure If I sit and stew about it for long enough I could work out how it is the fault of the police. The truth is I did it and my integrity tells me to man up and take what is coming. I hope the judge will apreciate some honisty for a change! Good luck with yours

Dave

I think you'll find that the other 2 vehicles would be done too,the van has video recording equipment and when the recording is downloaded the registered keepers of all vehicles that have exceeded the prescribed limit for the road in question are sent the paperwork.I don't know the trigger speed for the road you were on but it might be something like 57mph or 58mph and all who were caught exceeding the trigger speed would be issued a ticket.

Back